+ Reply to Thread

workbench plans?

I'm still setting up my new shop and so far there's not much to post about. But, there is one item on my list I could sure use some help with. All my woodworking life I've dreamed of having one of those European style work benches. Sadly I' always had to settle for 2 sawhorses and a sheet of plywood - until now. I'm finally gonna' make my own.

What I really want is a good set of plans and resources for all the various vises. What have you guys tried & liked/hated? I usually just make it up as I go and I've got pretty good at hiding my uh-oh's. But this is one time I want to get it right the first time around. So, I could sure use all the info you guys can offer. One of my grandson (18 yrs.old) has taken a real interest in woodworking and I'd hope that one day I could pass this bench on to him. That's why I'd really like to get this right.

So, all comments and references will be greatly appreciated.
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: workbench plans?

Give this a look:

http://smile.amazon.com/Workbench-Bo...workbench+book

I'd loan you mine, but it's already loaned out. It has a ton of different workbench options and plans and drawings for the different benches. I'll be building a new workbench myself and a separate assembly bench in the next year so that my workbench isn't doing double duty so I've been really looking into what I want. There's a lot on YouTube as well. There's conflicting opinions but you've got enough experience to cut through the fluff and get down to what you want for the way you work.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

I built a simple workbench from some 4X4's, some 2X4's, and one sheet of 3/4" marine plywood.
    I split the plywood ~60/40, (basically 28" wide for the top, 20" wide for the bottom) made a rectangle frame, and nailed the plywood to it.
    I built a secondary frame on the bottom inside the legs (4x4's) to hold the shelf underneath.

I painted it with alkyd based polyurethane paint & it's been going strong for 15 years now.
    It's very sturdy, very steady, & very heavy. I built it in place because it's too heavy for one man to lift or move.

I think I spent a total of $100 for it, including $35 for a gallon of paint.

It has held a half-ton (literally) without failing.

I bought a nice steel vise from http://www.wttool.com/index/page/cat...gory_id/21525/ here.
    Last edited by Herb G; 10-07-2015 at 7:55 am.
    "Be happy in your work"...Colonel Saito
    Share with Facebook  

Take a look at the Chris Schwarz SYP workbench from Popular Woodworking.
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/pr.../175_workbench
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

A guy that I worked for built the one that Norm did on one of his early shows.

http://www.symionic.com/newyankee/in...ench/p/7916461
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook