+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new tool

new tool

What does every self-respecting woodworker need?

A plasma cutter.

On its way to me, hopefully for delivery tomorrow. I have a bunch of farm and other metal projects that I need to do - so I splurged for a plasma cutter. I already have a welder - so now I just need to practice and learn... By doing.

I have always cut metal with a grinder and a cutoff wheel or just not done whatever task. Ask a friend. Or drive it over the bank. So this will allow me to screw up whatever project I have in mind, without need of assistance of favors from anyone else.

thanks,
    john
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: new tool

Nice, John!

If i had a dedicated metalworking space, I'd add a plasma cutter to my collection, too. Of course, I'd have to make it CNC, though
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Congrats, Mapes. I've seen pics of some really nice fab work done with a plasma cutter and a welder.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Years ago I came so close to buying one of those. So close...
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Congrats. Those are very, very handy. I wish I had one every time I work under my jeep.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

I got a pretty modest one - Lotos with the pilot arc. Can cut up to 3/4" apparently but it is better suited at 1/2" and less. Good for farm work and other "crafting"... I like that it will cut aluminum too. In my research the pilot arc seemed like a necessity to get it to start cutting on rusty metal. Same reason that I automatically use flux-cored wire - I know much of the metal I will work with is gonna be rusty. Oxy-ace would be much cheaper - but I like the idea of being a bit more precise with the plasma and hopefully doing some metal working that is furniture(y) or decorative(y).

I will submit a review, of sorts, when I have had a chance to use it.

Hopefully being delivered tonight...

thanks,
    john
    Share with Facebook  

Oh yeah a CNC plasma would be AWESOME.

I have a CNC router on order and it is being built as we speak.

CNC plasma cutters and a welder can make some really cool stuff.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Great!
    It would be nice to have one of those. Every self respecting woodworker needs a fully equipped metalworking workshop as a backup.
    Share with Facebook  

Frist impression:
    I bought it with a 220/110 pigtail so I could use it on light material away from shop. It also allowed me to use it a bit before I get the wiring in place. It needs a 30A circuit for full power --- so I will be heading to the hardware store for some wire and outlets (got several 30A breakers on hand)... Anyway - at 110V and low power, it cuts nicely. Easy set up. No issue getting it to start on rusty metal (glad I got the pilot arc model).

So I will hopefully get some wiring done this week-ish and try it on some heavy stuff. One of the projects is converting the tractor loader from pins to quick-attach. So I need to cut the brackets off the bucket and weld to the quick-attach. And the weld the quick plates to the bucket and the grab...

Good winter projects... And as Ned Stark says --- "Winter is coming"

thanks,
    john
    Share with Facebook  

I grew up on a ranch that my parents bought for retirement from the oil field. (They were in their 40's when I came along) I spent hours and hours repairing bale feeders and feed troughs and of course makin' stuff from all the scrap! Having used a cutting torch for years, the plasma cutter is awesome! I have a Hypertherm 65 that has about the same range. Edge start for 3/4-1" but 1/2" is it's happy place. I have a machine torch mounted to my 5'x10' CNC table and then a hand torch that I can just plug in and make hand cuts if needed. LOVE it!

Enjoy!
    Share with Facebook