+ Reply to Thread

Proposed side table - Help!

Hi guys,

Sorry for the lack of communication. Since Dad died my woodworking has taken last place as my time is consumed with Tasa, Neil, pets, and all the repairs. So, so sorry. Sure miss you guys and my shop!

I have two weeks of a breather before Tasa returns and I'm again inundated with workers in both houses. I hope to build this table, or at least get a good start on it. It's actually a pair of tables.

I need your opinion and advice on the structural integrity. The tops are granite, 16" X 12", and weight 28 lbs each. The woods will be Mahogany and Maple and I'm waiting on the miller for them... My entire Summer has been an exercise in waiting!!!!!

Rich was kind enough to give me an idea to form 2" x 2" legs and I adjusted it to suit. I cannot find Mahogany that thick.

Please be honest in your assessment. I have little time and don't want it crashing down on me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	side table top view.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	22130 The colors are off in Sketchup.

Name:	side table- front view.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	22131 I will taper the legs, as you can see, so the construction appears less massive. The curved table/leg thingies are just for decoration. Not meant for structural support. I'll just glue them in. Course, you all know they won't look this good when I'm finished. I'm pathetic with curves.

Name:	side table - legs.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	22132 I have to make eight legs. The rabbeted area is 2" deep. It will accommodate the "box sides and under-supports, and a 1" X 1" corner of the granite's weight.
    I propose to make the legs in sections and rabbet before glue-up. It's a lot of wood to remove with a chisel. I do not own a mortise bit and that may present it's own nightmare.

Name:	side table - top of box.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	22133 This is the top view of the "box" that will house the granite. I will run a 1/8th strip of Maple inlay before I miter. If all goes well the inlay will align to the top of the legs. The box has a 1/2" ply base. The under supports for the granite will be laminated 3/8th Maple and Mahogany
    I intend to glue these to the box rails and ply, and then attach screws that I'll hide with pegs.

Name:	side table - underside of box.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	22134 This bottom view gives a clearer picture of the under-supports. The will be 1 1/2" wide, glued and screwed.

That's it for now. Waiting on the wood.

Will this design hold the granite?

Thank you for your help. I feel like a heel asking questions when I have scant time to look at what you all are doing or staying in-touch. Please trust me, I'm not being self-centered. My time no longer belongs to me.

Thank you.
    Elizabeth
    I think, therefore I'm more confused than when I began.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Proposed side table - Help!

That design will definitely hold the granite tops. I disagree about the "table leg thingies", though. They not only look good but will add a lot of strength to the leg/top joint and stiffen the legs.

For the leg construction, I would laminate the entire thing. Glue up the center part with the Maple and Mahogany, cut to length and then apply the two longer outer glue-ups (Maple and Mahogany) to create the recess at the top.

3/4" stock would suffice for the entire build.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Proposed side table - Help!

Thanks Cody! I'm doing as I speak.

The 8 legs take a total of 72 pieces 3/4x 3/4x 22 long. Im gluing in sections of three strips at a time. Then Ill sand to flatten, and glue those sections to each other, repeat, until each leg is formed. Each leg will be 2 1/4 square before I taper the outside faces and finish sand. Im aiming for a 2x 2. Before ripping my boards, I precut the 2 deep dado with a tenoning jig. I havent milled the outside corner pieces yet. I will cut the dado as a stopped groove on the router table. I had to do it this way because there was no way I could cut that chunk off each leg, flat and square, after gluing. As is, I'll have minor chisel work to make it fit.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the table supports. Ill cut the curves on the bandsaw. I'll do them in fours so they match. I'm absolutely terrible with the bandsaw!

My concern is that if a leg gets "kicked-in" the whole thing will become unstable. There is no cross design... Adding a shelf to stabilize the project makes it very bulky.

Name:	side table with shelf.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	22140

I have scant time in the shop these days but was able to glue 4 more sections today. I'll try to post picks on progress. I'm being waylaid by "must do's" on my Mom's house and mine...

Thank you for your comments and time.
    Elizabeth
    I think, therefore I'm more confused than when I began.
    Share with Facebook