+ Reply to Thread

Framing Lumber Rant

I went to a local chain lumber yard (not HD or Lowes) a couple of days ago to get some 2x4 framing lumber for the half-walls on my cabana. This place usually has good stock and they load it for me like lumber yards should do. I told the clerk at the counter I wanted 2" x 4" x 8' No. 1 SPF, twenty of them. When I pulled around back to have the lumber loaded, I was really disappointed in the quality, even more so when I started working with it. While relatively straight, this stuff had numerous loose knots, the ends were all checked or split and was the most splintery stock I've cut in a long time. I think it was mostly Spruce but whatever it was, it was poor stuff.

I have a sawing job when the weather cools off some...a big whack of Loblolly pine logs. Three of us will split the sawing proceeds. Too bad I didn't get to saw my own 2x4's before needing some. I could have produced much better and stronger boards than that crappy stuff I bought.

Ok, rant over.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Framing Lumber Rant

That's a shame, cody - i sometimes wonder if the concept of buying a "new" home is any form of improvement over a 50yr old (or older) house. In my house's case, the whole thing is framed with redwood 2x stock - back in 1950, it must have been reasonably inexpensive, i guess. Nice not having to worry too much about rot, though!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Construction grade framing lumber is almost always from the pithy center of the tree. Trees are now farm raised and bred for fast growth.

Borg stores don't sell much to contractors. They are mostly DIY'ers. Thiose DIY'ers sort through the trash and push the trash aside. Borg staff stacks the trash back on top of the pile.

If a contractor calls in an order of 2x4's the contractor will absolutely get ALL the trash - guaranteed.
    Some of the contractors - not all - but some contractors will build the trash into the house.

What a system!
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Our local BORGS were selling 2x4x8 for $.93 each.
    Less than a buck each!
    Yep, you guessed it.
    All trash, everyone bent, warped, split, knotted, etc.
    Pure junk.

I gave up & went to 84 Lumber.
    Paid $2.79 each for them.
    "Be happy in your work"...Colonel Saito
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Herb G View Post
    I gave up & went to 84 Lumber.
    Paid $2.79 each for them.
    What I wouldn't give for an Eighty Four in my area.

Cody,
    I only have HD and Lowes near by.

I avoid HD as 99% of their 2x are green.

Lowes seems to carry KD 2x and they are from Roseburg. (Oregon)

In terms of quality, HD sells fire wood while Lowe's sells reasonable quality dimensioned lumber.

The only place that I let the yard pick the lumber is my hardwood supplier. But there I always get FAS, SLR.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Cody, I feel your pain. We just had our deck rebuilt. They finished Friday and the wood has to dry before we can paint and stain. I'm distraught with the boards (Treated, Yellow Southern Pine). They are flat sawn and the knots are so large we will have holes in a year. There is one already that has emptied and our table leg fits right in it. Our contractor didn't pick the boards for soundness... The miller sold him by stack. I'm in abject despair.

If I can get the courage and stamina up I'll have to ask him to re-do it (at his expense!!!!).
    Elizabeth
    I think, therefore I'm more confused than when I began.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by rrich View Post
    I avoid HD as 99% of their 2x are green.

All of the HD lumber here with the exception of the PT stuff is kiln dried to 19% MC which is typical of construction lumber. The drying is not for quality but to reduce shipping weight. I do agree, however, that the local Lowe's has generally better lumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    If I can get the courage and stamina up I'll have to ask him to re-do it (at his expense!!!!).

I would definitely have the contractor make it right. If a loose knot big enough for a chair leg to go through has already fallen out, that's just not acceptable.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

I know. Will have to deal with it when he returns.
    Elizabeth
    I think, therefore I'm more confused than when I began.
    Share with Facebook  

Elisabeth, if the contractor won't make it right at his expense, lawyer up.

My neighbor had some work done on his house.
    He paid 1/2 up front, 1/2 to be paid upon completion & his scrutiny.

Contractor never finished the job, never got his money either.
    He & I finished the job over a few weekends.
    "Be happy in your work"...Colonel Saito
    Share with Facebook