+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chain Saw

Chain Saw

I desperately need a battery powered CS that can Handel felling a 16" - 18" tree.

Suggestion appreciated.
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Chain Saw

You won't find one that's battery powered. You might find an electric one that you plug in.
    "Be happy in your work"...Colonel Saito
    Share with Facebook  

How about a Sawzall with a long demo blade?
    Share with Facebook  

Check out the attached link, Art. I didn't even know anyone made a battery-powered chainsaw but evidently they are not uncommon.

http://www.chainsawjournal.com/best-...ered-chainsaw/

I don't know that one will handle falling a 16" - 18" diameter tree but it's worth a look.
    Last edited by Cody Colston; 08-19-2015 at 9:28 pm.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

If you are going to fell a tree that means you are outdoors. Then a petrol powered chainsaw will be far better value for the money......unless your lungs or heart don't allow you to use a petrol powered chainsaw.
    In that case I think you would be better of asking a friend to help you fell and buck the trees.

I don't think you can find an electric let alone battery powered chain saw big enough for that kind of felling. If you can find one I woud think that the battery would make it too heavy to carry. Especially for a person with bad heart or bad lungs.
    Last edited by TW; 08-20-2015 at 11:08 am.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by TW View Post
    If you are going to fell a tree that means you are outdoors. Then a petrol powered chainsaw will be far better value for the money......unless your lungs or heart don't allow you to use a petrol powered chainsaw.
    In that case I think you would be better of asking a friend to help you fell and buck the trees.

I don't think you can find an electric let alone battery powered chain saw big enough for that kind of felling. If you can find one I woud think that the battery would make it too heavy to carry. Especially for a person with bad heart or bad lungs.
    I think the problem is that his pacemaker is sensitive to the electrical impulse caused by a chainsaw engine. I think you're right though that felling trees of that size will require a gas chainsaw. Or one of these:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...2822/fig04.jpg
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Or one of these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	31E2r7omhIL.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	22124  
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Cody, I actually considered that approach. The I remembered the reason I have a 3 function heart stimulator.
    art

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook  

I think I've come up with a plan. My big issue is no chnsaws or air cooled magneto start type motors. In short, I can't use any of the usual power units. I've got several relatives nearby who would do the petro chainsaw work when needed. I've got the equipment to get logs out of the woods and on the mill carriage. This even includes an over head hoist to set the logs on the carriage & assist with rolling the log to most favorable position. (which pretty much eliminates the main attraction to a swing blade.)

So, I'm down to a electric powered BSM, which I plan to build myself. I don't weld and have zero tools for metal work of the level a project of this size would require. Sooooo . . . I'm gonna' build it with wood as the principal material. Hardware items will be sourced through the local Motion Industries or Tractor Supply reps. I'll be using the plans from Matthias Wendell available through his WoodGears.CA web site. Only I'm gonna' do a lot of "upscaling" as I go.

I got the idea of using wood from looking at those really old circle sawmills from decades past. All the load bearing members were usually solid wood. What few metal parts there were were made of cast iron or steel. On
    these dinosaurian machines they cut logs so large only one would fit on a railroad flat car. These mills commonly ran 60" or bigger saws These were the mills that filled the need for wood product for the housing boom that followed WWII. So, I figure a similar setup should be more than adequate for my needs.

As soon as I can get my new shop squared away, the sawmill will be my first serious project. This mill will be doors. I have no plans to mobilize it at the preset.
    Last edited by art3427; 09-01-2015 at 5:42 am.
    art

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook