+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Opinion On Joinery

Best of my knowledge says epoxy will make for a weaker joint.
    Charter Member of The Cody Colston WoodWorkers Benevolence Society
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Wisardd1 View Post
    Best of my knowledge says epoxy will make for a weaker joint.
    I would stick with the TB3 (or 2). I've used a lot of epoxy and have seen it fail in instances I don't think TB3 would have. On the other hand, it's great for glue-ups not requiring a lot of strength, but would otherwise be impossible with TB due to set time.
    Share with Facebook  

If I was making it I would use a bridle joint. A slot in the end of one piece and a tennon on the end of the other piece. I would secure it with pegs.

Call me oldfashioned (or even a luddite) if you want but I don't like loose tennons. As most of what I do is repairwork I have found that the traditional joints tend to fail less often than their modern counterparts.
    On the other hand the 50 year perspective may not be important for this very table. It all depends on who is going to use it.
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks for the suggestion, TW. I had never considered pegged bridle joint. It would certainly be strong. I'll have to give that some more thought.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Have you considered through tenons with either wedges or pegs?
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

When I first started in this hobby, I used dowels a fair bit. They're pretty sturdy if you can get 'em positioned well. But as I got further into the hobby, I stopped using 'em just for that positioning struggle especially with certain configurations.

I have yet to do a floating tenon other than splines myself, but I do believe they're just as strong (if not stronger) than integral tenons with modern glues and a good fit. Of course, it's all about that fit.

I'd vote for floating tenons using a router to cut the mortises with a very good positioning scheme so they align exactly where you want 'em. That'll be plenty strong for sure.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

I would avoid any polyurethane or epoxy glue.

TiteBond whatever adds moisture to the dowels and causes them to swell. As they swell they fill the open grain with glue and then the dowels don't shrink.

The dowels add strength as well as alignment.

The TiteBond and dowels will make the joint as strong as the proverbial brick .... house.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

I intend to use slip tenons and cut the mortises with a router. A simple jig should ensure perfect alignment. I'll also use my usual TBIII instead of epoxy. I got in the habit of using epoxy on outdoor projects because it is water proof (yes, I know TBIII is supposed to be waterproof, too).

This table, however, will be under roof so moisture shouldn't be an issue except for humidity and wood movement which doesn't concern me.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook