+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinion On Joinery

I am planning to build a Maloof-style pedestal table to put in our Cabana. An exploded drawing I found of the table (see attached dwg) shows the three-piece legs joined with dowels at the 45 degree joints. I was thinking that a loose tenon would be a better method. Any opinions/preferences on the dowels vs a loose tenon?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram-1846.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	22115  
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Opinion On Joinery

I vote for tenons. Dowels are just too danged persnickity for my patience.
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook  

Thumbs up Re: Opinion On Joinery

Loose Tenon!
    Charter Member of The Cody Colston WoodWorkers Benevolence Society
    Share with Facebook  

Looks like you could use a Domino
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsMatt View Post
    Looks like you could use a Domino

Yes, that would be the perfect application for a Domino.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

I'd go loose tenons. I've even got my old horizontal mortiser I can give you if you want.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks everyone for the replies. Loose tenons it will be. I've never been a fan of dowels, anyway.

Stretch, thanks for the offer but I can manage fine with a guide bushing and a simple jig. The dowels in the drawing were 1/2" so I'll use a 1/2" bit with a 5/8" guide.

I rotate home in a week and I've already got more than 20 days (my off time) of projects to work on...cabinets and electrical for the Cabana, the table mentioned, four chairs and a re-work of my flagging jugs (for catfishing). Then I have 600 bf of 4/4 Pine that needs to be planed and T&G'd so I can finish the inside of my shed.

Once the weather cools off (probably October) there's a big stack of Pine logs a friend has that we will saw on shares and I have some ERC logs to saw for myself. I swear, I continually have more projects than I have years left. Oh well, at least I'll stay busy as long as i'm able.
    Cody

Share with Facebook  

Btw, It appears that the dowels are more a matter of alignment than strength
    Charter Member of The Cody Colston WoodWorkers Benevolence Society
    Share with Facebook  

20d nails, and a gallon of hide glue. That's my vote.
    "Be happy in your work"...Colonel Saito
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Wisardd1 View Post
    Btw, It appears that the dowels are more a matter of alignment than strength

The 1/2" dowels were the strength of the joint, not just an alignment tool. They were then pinned with thru 1/8" dowels in the Maloof version. I suppose they were trong enough, especially considering Maloof used them, but I like the idea of slip tenons better. I won't pin the tenons but will probably use epoxy glue on them instead of my usual TBIII. I won't be putting that half-lapped, inset cross brace on the bottom, either.
    Cody

Share with Facebook