+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pole Barn

Pole Barn

I haven't done any woodworking in my shop for some time but I do have an outside project going. I'm building a 42X50 pole barn which will eventually become my shop. I started this project in March of 2012 by running electrical and water to the site. I had the site leveled in March of 2014 and bought the PT 6x6's at the same time. This year I got the poles cemented in (county requirements) and 1/3rd of the slab poured. I got a local mill to cut my plate beams so they could dry for a few weeks before I start putting them up. I got a few books on post & beam construction thinking I would give it a try but I've decided to do a simple construction of lap joints and bolts. 200 years ago they didn't have threaded rod but I do. I got a couple of different saws to cut the beams which will make the job easier and I'm all about easier. Here are a few pictures and I'll post progress as I go but this is still another 2-3 year project. Questions and comments are always welcome.

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0726.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	22095   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0728.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	22099   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0724.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	22096   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0725.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	22097   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0722.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	22100  

Last edited by ScottD; 08-08-2015 at 3:57 pm.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Pole Barn

I would not tackle that without help. Check around & see if there are any Amish still in your neck of the woods. They work cheap & do excellent work.
    "Be happy in your work"...Colonel Saito
    Share with Facebook  

That sounds very feasible if you can get a helper when you are going to install the plates and the framework for the roof. The rest seems like a typical one man job.

Good Luck!
    Share with Facebook  

Very nice! I'm going to have to add on to my 30x40 as it's quickly becoming smaller and smaller....
    Share with Facebook  

Good start to the building. On the pool cabana I'm building I placed 4x6 beams on top of the 6x6 PT posts and secured them with custom-built 1/4" steel plates.

What size is that Makita circular saw and how deep will it cut? I need something like it.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    Good start to the building. On the pool cabana I'm building I placed 4x6 beams on top of the 6x6 PT posts and secured them with custom-built 1/4" steel plates.

What size is that Makita circular saw and how deep will it cut? I need something like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-5402NA-...6+circular+saw

Found a used one on EBay.

Scott
    Share with Facebook  

Wow. Almost $800 at Amazon! I would have to get a Beamer on a used one if I am to ever have one. I guess I'll keep renting from United Rentals.

That 6 1/4" cut depth is pretty cool, though. I liked the line under product description where it said "only" 28.7 lbs for ease of handling.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Here's one (older) on my local CL for $100

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/tls/5168112368.html
    Last edited by ThisIsMatt; 08-12-2015 at 12:15 am.
    Share with Facebook  

Just an update. This winter has been too wet to get much done but the past few days have been great so I'm back on this project. I'm trying to get it ready for rafters and hire a crew to finish the roof. I'm too old and round to get that high up any more.

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0906.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	22673   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0905.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	22674  
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    . . . . . I liked the line under product description where it said "only" 28.7 lbs for ease of handling.

I used a pneumatic version of one of those while in Viet Nam. we used it with compressed air from the built in compressor on the 5 ton dump truck I drove for the carpenter shop. The 3/4 " braided air hose supplied made it a bear to cut with. But, it would cut 6x8 creosoted cross ties like warm butter. It's something you need to have very sure footing before you pick it up
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook