+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Attention! Attention! Attention!

You're not entirely wrong, leo

So - do you want me to give you the admin passwords and hosting credentials, yet?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    You're not entirely wrong, leo

So - do you want me to give you the admin passwords and hosting credentials, yet?

I'll help out if you need an admin, but I don't want the keys to the shop, as it were.
    "Be happy in your work"...Colonel Saito
    Share with Facebook  

That might be a good point Leo......might be.... here is the reason why I think so:

The world has changed a lot since I joined this group at the old forum over 10 years ago.

The kind of woodworking that has been promoted massively for over a decade in mainstream media and on youtube and in most forums has a very bad cost versus gain structure built into it. I think that puts a lot of people off.
    In the younger generation you are either a consumer buying everything you want and don't care about making anything, or you have given up in a world of poverty and hoplessness and don't bother to make anything at all, or you are a maker trying to make the best out of what is on hand in a world of little money.

I think the woodworking community as a whole needs a new take on woodworking. A new take that includes a far wider spectrum of related crafts and skills. A view adapted to this new class of makers living in a world where money is scarce and one has to find clever ways of making stuff from what one can afford.

To me woodworking is not just woodwork it also includes rummaging around at the scrap yard looking for a suitable part from some old farm implement that can be converted into a tool needed to repair an old woodworking machine that may help me to make some money. That is what reality is like.
    By the way I found the finest bandsaw I have ever seen in my life at the scrap yard last week. It only needs a new owner skilled enough to make a new upper wheel and a new tensioning screw and some new wheel guards. If I did not have a bandsaw already I would have bought it.

Now this was a lot of thoughts going in different directions..... but i think it all would som up in three words: TIME TO DIVERSIFY
    Share with Facebook  

Pretty good info there Leo. One of the training videos series' that I bought and required my employees to watch had a recurring motto/theme - "Evolve or Die" and that's pretty accurate. I know what I'm planning to do with wood is a little unconventional but I'll be using a lot of conventional methods for joining & finishing. Plus seeing all the projects, ideas, and work going on is intriguing and inspiring me to incorporate more hand made wood projects into my products than I'd originally planned to do!
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post

This is my opinion. There does not seem to be much "buyin" to my way of thinking. So, I post and keep the lights on.

Just my opinion - I know I am swimming upstream - I always am.

I've seen several of these posts from you about your ideas but for the life of me I don't remember you ever really posting what these ideas are. I'm really vague on what you're proposing. Lay it out for us, nobody is pushing back at this point. You're not swimming upstream. There is no stream right now, we're in a pond that's slowly evaporating. Lay it out for us. Seriously.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

What mark said ...

I don't remember a single idea brought to the public table that was voted on that didn't get executed. That claim was laid at my feet a few months back and nobody has been able to tell me one instance of that.

Ideas are great. But be ready for the follow up question to every idea: Who's gonna DO it?

We tried things ... we tried a lot of things. They petered out. Every single item presented and voted on and approved was tried (cnc forum with leo as moderator, contest committees, etc). They all seem to end up on Mark's and my plate to keep going. But the interest doesn't seem to be there (or didn't in the case of the long-ago ideas like contests and box swaps, etc).

At this point, if you want sweeping change - bring forward someone technical who can execute on it and someone with the enthusiasm to make it a success and stick with it. I simply don't have time to do MORE than what's already being done.

Implying that we've done a bad job doesn't help with the motivation, either, but that's my own bag, there. Can't quite let it go without saying so, though.

If you love this group as much as it takes to lead it to the next level, please, I beg you to step up. Get support from the rest of the members and I'm happy to pass the torch.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Do they even have shop class in schools anymore? We (society, especially USA) could sure do a better job of keeping kids interested in working and creating things with their hands instead of playing on a phone or video game. Very conceptual, I know but something that I think about a lot.

I'm a newbie here but I have been around a day or two and I know forums wax and wane too. Hopefully the occasional bump of members and ongoing discussion of all things wood and life can make for a healthy group overall.
    Share with Facebook  

If we knew the root cause of the decline on this forum, we would do something about it. Speaking for myself, I just don't know what is the problem. I think it starts with the forum name but there's a lot more going on. I see people on other ww forums that once were active here so for some reason this place has lost it's attractiveness.

Even though I am active on other forums, I still participate here because it is a woodworking-centric site and I consider CNC, machinery and tool restoration, and anything related to woodworking as being woodworking-centric. Mixed media projects can be woodworking while incorporating other skills/materials. Besides, all of my close ww buddies are here.

As for the social media thing, we all left one of those places in the ww.com exodus. The "Just Talking" sub-forum there got by far the bulk of the activity and most of it was totally unrelated to woodworking. I was as guilty as anyone for that but primarily because I got tired of trying to generate interest on the woodworking sub forums. I felt like "the voice of one crying in the wilderness" if I may quote from the prophet Isaiah (40:3 if you are interested).

I don't have the skills or time to be a forum administrator but I can certainly appreciate the effort that Beamer and Mark have put in here. I also notice that the most active ww forums have all gone commercial..ie, they all have ads from sponsors. That may actually be a benefit, but again, it takes a lot of effort to attract those sponsors along with the burden of it now being a business with all the related paperwork.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

"I don't have the skills or time to be a forum administrator but I can certainly appreciate the effort that Beamer and Mark have put in here. I also notice that the most active ww forums have all gone commercial..ie, they all have ads from sponsors. That may actually be a benefit, but again, it takes a lot of effort to attract those sponsors along with the burden of it now being a business with all the related paperwork. "

Cody,
    It is interesting that you mention the commercial or sponsorship thing. I asked around at AWFS and there wasn't much interest. Of those that understood the online of Internet world today, they were interested in social media rather than a forum or bulletin board.

Another place that went the way of ww.com has been destroyed by the commercial ads. About 12% of the screen is forum and the rest mostly ads. A group splintered off, as we did, and are suffering from the same decline.

I don't have an answer either for the decline.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

I do have a person with a master degree in computer software engineering that would work with me.

Truth be told.

I really could operate this forum. It would be very different than it is.

In the past the membership did not like the suggestions I have made.

Either way - the ONLY reason I offered is that there was noone else offering anything in the way of ideas of support.

Truth be told - I really do not want the keys. I certainly have enough interest in this place, been here a lot of years, if I didn't like this place I would not be here - but computer related things are really of no interest to me at all.

I don't want the keys. I am not really interested in operating a forum.

Now - I will be quiet and hold my peace and not upset the cart.

Sorry to upset the admins and discourage the efforts to activate the membership.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook