+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Attention! Attention! Attention!

If you are lurking as a guest or if you have registered as a member, participate!

This forum is dying a slow death and needs activity to make it viable. If you have a question about woodworking, ask it here. If you have an answer to a question or something to share, post it here. If you have gotten any worthwhile information from this forum, give back by participating in the discussions.

This forum is woodworking-centric, ie, there's not a lot of off-topic stuff discussed and that's as it should be. It's not a social media site but a woodworking site. If you enjoy woodworking, then help keep sites like this one active.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Attention! Attention! Attention!

What Cody said!

It's questions that keep this place alive. Don't worry that it was asked before. Don't worry if it's supposed to be obvious. You will NOT look stupid for asking - you will not upset anyone for asking because questions are what make this place function.

JUST ASK!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Yeah, ask away. Most of us aren't that busy to answer a question or 3.
    "Be happy in your work"...Colonel Saito
    Share with Facebook  

And I personally do not mind at all if you stray off the woodworking.

I am cool with steel, aluminum, brass, machining CNC - plastic

Ohhh - and I don't mind mixing in some social too - adds a little flavor.

Come one come all
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Somthing is happening all over the net. Far too many good crafts related dforums are getting slower and slower.
    We should break that trend!

I work both wood and metal and some other materials as well. Anything from log houses to fine furniture. Anything from toolmaking to tractor repairs. Anything from brooms to rush weawing.
    Last edited by TW; 08-08-2015 at 10:25 am.
    Share with Facebook  

Now that I think about it, it is a cycle. In the summer time, lots of people are doing home improvement, vacations, cookouts, etc. So, the participation on forums declines. Then, it usually picks back up in the fall.

I've seen it on lots of forums. Even the ones with 30,000 members.
    "Be happy in your work"...Colonel Saito
    Share with Facebook  

Here's my latest CNC metal creation. Yesterday I started, and today I should finish a shelf/mantle/table clock that actually had a start in wood ideas! My last trip to WoodCraft I picked up some 2 3/8" clock mechnisms to put in some wood projects but then yesterday I thought, hmm who says I can't put one in some metal!!

It's the word Love in script with a bent base at the bottom to sit on and I worked the clock into the middle of the 'O' and finished the piece with a patina and accented with the oxy-acetylene torch. I'll get a picture of it up later in a new thread.

I'm excited to get the rest of the 10 gauge sheet I have on the table now cut up. Then I'm going to build my wood base table with some T-slots or something to help me clamp projects to the spoilboard so I can get carving! I haven't posted a lot here yet because I had a little metal work to do before I finished the woodworking setup. I'll be here for sure as I get into wood because I have a LOT of questions about wood finishing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150806_192318.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	22094  
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Herb G View Post
    Now that I think about it, it is a cycle. In the summer time, lots of people are doing home improvement, vacations, cookouts, etc. So, the participation on forums declines. Then, it usually picks back up in the fall.

I've seen it on lots of forums. Even the ones with 30,000 members.
    It is a cycle, but it hasn't been the same cycle it used to be for the last couple years. Statistically, this is our longest and deepest dip in activity since we started. It's more than just a cycle now - it seems like forums are losing favor for other ways of communicating. Ways, in my opinion, that lack a lot of the benefits forums give -- like an easy archive of a full conversation so people can read about it years later and still make sense of it.

I wish it were just the natural ebb and flow we used to see - it's been a 3+ year gradual dip all over, i've noticed.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Good post Cody! A very accurate observation TW.

Everyone, lurkers especially, what you have here is a superb encyclopedia of woodworking. Ask your questions, you'll get accurate and experienced answers. Most answers can almost always be started with, "The way that I solve that problem is . . . . "

Join and participate. We're a very friendly group.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Personally, I think the "woodworking" scenerio has lived its life to the fullest. Not even a whole lot of that on TV anymore - though I don't really watch tv.

To stay the course and remain "woodworking" only - or woodworking mainly and to be here to answer woodworking related questions for the very few that ask, and not be a social gathering place - is a death sentence.

I understand that just to get in here there is a series of woodworking related questions to be answered. I don't remember any conversations about that pr if we thought it was a good idea - I must have missed that topic.

I have made many suggestions along the way, but my ideas must be too maverick of just plain outside the realm of what is a good idea.

Social media, DIY, Makers, Hobbyist, CNC, variety of topics is the way to go.

I don't see the downturn in other places I frequent that I see here. Some places are actually on the increase.

I do believe there is opportunity - but not in the structure we have here and not much a future if there is not a major change to what we do.

This is my opinion. There does not seem to be much "buyin" to my way of thinking. So, I post and keep the lights on.

As long as the lights are on here I will keep posting, but to be honest, I am finding more fulfillment in other places.

Sorry to sound offending, but, this place needs a whole lot more than a message to be posting.

Just my opinion - I know I am swimming upstream - I always am.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook