+ Reply to Thread

Router Fixture Idea

I have a big stack of 4/4 Pine boards that I will use to cover the inside walls of "The Shed" once it gets cooler. I will straight-line rip one side, rip to consistent width and finally T&G the boards before putting them on the walls.

To speed up the T&G operation (and future T&G), I was mulling the idea of building a router fixture to cut both the tongue and groove simultaneously. It would consist of two sections of 3/4" plywood, one above the other. The bottom section would hold a router with the collet up (traditional) and would be fixed. The upper plywood would hold a router with the collet pointing down. The router mount would be on a sliding portion so that the width between the collets (and bits) could be adjusted to match board width. Placing one router up and one down would eliminate having the top router climb-cutting as it would if they were both mounted in the same orientation. Fences would be in a fixed position. I already have two hand-held 690 routers and extra bases so there wouldn't be a need to buy anything except the plywood.

I'm still working out the details in my head but wonder what the bunch (or the other two people on this forum) think of the idea.
    Last edited by Cody Colston; 08-07-2015 at 4:03 pm.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Router Fixture Idea

As I was reading it, i had the same concern you were solving for later in the description - the pull of a climb cut on one side -- if they were cutting the same amount of wood, I wonder if they'd cancel out each other (climb on one, conventional on the other) -- not sure I'd have the guts to experiment there, but as an academic exercise, my mind is intrigued.

With the routers flipped to one another, I think the design is brilliant - and see nothing that would not let it work. Short of getting setup so that the groove/tongue are aligned within the thickness of the boards. Once that's been done for a given thickness, and you rip them all to the same width (or setup a circular saw in front of 'em to do that for you!!) it should work brilliantly.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

There are two paths here, two router bits or a dual function bit. The way that I see the dual function bit is a router table like a Oscillating Spindle Sander. Assuming there are bearings on the router bit you just make one side of the table higher than the other. You'll rout the groove and then dance around the to route the tongue. One side of the table would have to be higher than the other side. (Shim a piece of plywood to the correct height.)

With two routers, mount them both in the table, one behind the other. (Think figure 8.) And again the same dance.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Seems like a lot of extra setup for something that is otherwise a quick set & run
    Share with Facebook  

Not at all unusal to set up like that for an industrial setup. I think even Gerstner has setups like that.

You have one setup to cut one slot already.

On the "opposite side" of the board you need to set up a second router with an opposite setup.

The opposite router setup will be with the routre being up instead of down. That way you will get the conventional cut on both sides.

The alternate method is to use a router with left hand rotation and use a left hand cutter. I don't think you will find those.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

I'm gonna try the set-up when I get home, just to see how well it works. I'll report back with the results, good or bad.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook