+ Reply to Thread
    jonesy604 Guest

New to CNC woodworking

Hello. I am a fellow woodworker and wood turner. Woodworking for about 40 years and wood turning for about 4. I am about to retire so I am refreshing my wood tools. I am in the market for a CNC router for my shop. I have a budget of about $8000.00. I would like a 4th axis. I am an electronics Instructor so I am familiar with CNC. I have looked at the Shopbot, Laguna and others. I would like a work area of about 3ft x 3ft. I have no idea what machines are good or not. I could use some help here. I am looking forward to reading and learning from World of Wood. Thanks

Dale
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: New to CNC woodworking

Hi Dale!

Welcome aboard!! We have a few guys who've built machines -- others have purchased. Would building be an option for you? Since you understand the electrical part of it, it wouldn't be tough to build depending on your tooling and material choices. You would be able to build more machine for your money though then you would have to support yourself, so there's that.

I've heard good things about CNC Router Parts - I have not heard great things about Laguna. I think what you'll be making will also play a factor in what features you should be looking at.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Re: New to CNC woodworking

Hi Dale,

Welcome.

I an 5 years away from retiring myself and I am quite passionate about CNC. Heck - been in and around it for quite some time.

I would give some "serious" consideration to the CNC Routerparts kits. Good reviews on that. I also have a connection or two on a couple of Chinese machines.

For $8000 - you should be able to settle into a nice 4x4 with 4-th setup.

Last year - one of the Chinese companies had a year end deal on a 4848 for $2400. Of course there is shipping to be added, about $1500.

Good to have you join us.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook