+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine mod

Engine mod

Wasn't sure if I should post this, we don't have an automotive forum but this engine modification required some lathe work.
    Years ago my father had bought a 4 barrel edlebrock carburetor for his 1970 chevy snowplow pickup but never got around to putting it on, when he sold the station he let the snowplow go as well but took the carb home.

My 1972 Dodge snowplow pickup hasn't been running all that well and my dad told me that was because the crossover in the intake was plugged up and the 2 barrel carb was crap. He gave me the carb but I had to buy an edlebrock intake so the 4 barrel would fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	plow01.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	22084
    Here's a shot of the top of the motor.

After getting the intake and carb installed I looked over the net, checked some auto part stores but couldn't find a carb adapter that would work to make my old air cleaner fit the new carb. The top of the carb is 5-1/8" and the hole in my air cleaner is 4-3/16". I also need at least 7/8" that was 5-1/8" to clear the top of the carb. Most people who do this sort of thing get a new air cleaner but all the after market air cleaners seemed to have the open sides, which I guess for racing applications is great but this is a snowplow pickup and I didn't want to suck snow into the open filter.

Name:	plow02.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	22085 Click image for larger version

Name:	plow03.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	22086
    Anyway I found a 4" to 5" schedule 80 plastic pipe adapter at my local hardware store. I turned the 5" end to 5-1/8" inside diameter, got some 4" sewer pipe and glued it into the 4" end for a raised edge to hold the aircleaner in place, put my gaskets on and it work fine (sprayed the outside of the pipes with black paint) and the hood has 1" of clearance above the air cleaner.

Anyway now it starts, idles and runs better than it has in the 16 years I've owned it. Dad tells me I should get better gas mileage as well since it won't be loading up like it used to.

Name:	plow04.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	22087 Click image for larger version

Name:	plow05.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	22088
    The other reason I wanted to keep my old air cleaner, I wired some red LED lights on it a few years ago, didn't want to have to do it again ;-)

Not exactly wood work but I figured a wood aircleaner adapter would warp, crack or start on fire ;-)

What do you think of my solution?

Thanks ~Mike
    If at first you succeed, try to hide your astonishment.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Engine mod

Mike,
    You're lucky. If any of us in California did something like that we would have the smog police trying to confiscate the car, the garage and the house.
    Last edited by rrich; 07-21-2015 at 2:59 am.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Looking good Mike.

I had to perform surgery on a piece of plastic for a shower wand that was not quite built well - the plastic decorative piece was too long. So a little lathe work with a skew to shorten it a touch, all better.

May not have justified the lathe - but it was cool!

Don't ya love when you can use a tool in your shop for something different - and it works perfectly!

john
    Share with Facebook  

When I was in the service, we were taught to improvise, adapt & overcome.
    Looks like you follow those rules too.
    "Be happy in your work"...Colonel Saito
    Share with Facebook