+ Reply to Thread

Saw(stop) this coming...

Tualatin, OR — July 16, 2015 — SawStop, LLC, the world leader in table saw safety, today announced that it has filed complaints at the U.S. International Trade Commission and the U.S. District Court in Oregon against Robert Bosch GmbH of Germany and its subsidiary Robert Bosch Tool Corporation to stop infringement of SawStop’s patented inventions.
    After years of denying the need for active injury mitigation technology on table saws, Bosch has announced that it intends to release a table saw that incorporates numerous inventions developed and patented by SawStop. As part of the lawsuit, SawStop is asking the ITC to exclude Bosch’s infringing table saws from entry into the United States, and to order Bosch to stop advertising and selling infringing products in the United States.
    “SawStop has invested millions of dollars developing inventions to protect woodworkers from serious injury,” said Dr. Stephen Gass, SawStop’s President, “and those inventions have been awarded patents. Patents are the cornerstone of American innovation, protecting the work of inventors from unauthorized use. A foreign corporation like Bosch, who takes advantage of the American patent system by filing multiple patent applications every day, should respect the patents awarded to others instead of relying on its size and financial resources to disregard those patents.”
    “We are proud of the difference our table saws have made in the lives of woodworkers,” said Dr. Gass. “SawStop saws have already saved thousands of woodworkers from serious injury. And although Bosch is one of the world’s largest companies with billions of dollars in annual revenue, we will vigorously defend our patent rights.”

Source: http://www.sawstop.com/company/news/...ect-inventions
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Saw(stop) this coming...

So now Mr. Gass has a Dr. attached to his name. I never heard of a Lawyer / Doctor. Unusual to say the least.

There are a million things to say but not worth going into.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

He has a PhD in physics so he's entitled to the Dr. title.

SawStop saws have already saved thousands of woodworkers from serious injury

Does Gass have documented case history of that or is it merely supposition? I've read of many inadvertent Sawstop activitations but have yet to read about an actual case of someone activating one through flesh contact with the blade...at least not on the woodworking forums. I'm sure it's happened but thousands of times? Lots of unsafe woodworkers out there if that is a true statement.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    He has a PhD in physics so he's entitled to the Dr. title.

SawStop saws have already saved thousands of woodworkers from serious injury

Does Gass have documented case history of that or is it merely supposition? I've read of many inadvertent Sawstop activitations but have yet to read about an actual case of someone activating one through flesh contact with the blade...at least not on the woodworking forums. I'm sure it's happened but thousands of times? Lots of unsafe woodworkers out there if that is a true statement.
    Yeah, i had the same thought. I lump it into marketing speek - by selling thousands of saws, i think they figure they've saved as many woodworkers from themselves. That's the only way I can imagine they can get away with thinking that statement is remotely true.

Leave it to a lawyer to mince words, eh?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

If I said enough times that this text is RED - eventually it would be called red.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

BeepBeepBeep

(Sound of alerted bullshitometer)
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by TW View Post
    BeepBeepBeep

(Sound of alerted bullshitometer)