+ Reply to Thread

An Odd Retro 60s Clock - CNC Project

This was just a fun little thing to do using Inkscape and Jscut for the CAM work. The clock parts were ordered through eBay for about $1.50. The wood is cheap pine from the local hardware store.

One thing I learned is that I keep in mind the background colors. It would have probably been better to make the starburst thingies a contrasting color other than white.

Dan
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: An Odd Retro 60s Clock - CNC Project

Cool Stuff Dan.

Lots of fun stuff.

Now - you are gonna need an out let for the stuff you are making. Maybe you can sell it.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks. I've thought about trying to sell things like this. Never have sold anything I've made in the shop though. The material costs are nothing really - total cost for materials for this clock including the motor would be less than $10. A lot of time went into it though in design, cutting, and gluing.

On a different topic, I'm looking forward to seeing your sign project. Looks very cool.

Dan
    Share with Facebook  

That is in the works - I will be posting the entire process.

I just ordered the last bit of material - Glass Smaltz - for the background.

The clock you made is a one of a kind - unique thing. I would set the price at $75 minimum. It's probably worth more than that. I would not be surprised to see that hanging on the wall in some of the stores that sell than at $150
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

I agree with Leo. A clock like that would easily fetch $100 or more around here.
    Then again, I've found out that a lot of people are cheapskates.
    "Be happy in your work"...Colonel Saito
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks guys for the feedback. Very appreciated. Definitely something to think about trying.

I need to fine tune the clock motor mounting circle attachment. The way I mounted it to this clock was to drill two small holes through the back and then put in two wood screws that just bit into the back of the circle motor housing maybe by 1/4". Since that part has to be able to be taken off for battery replacements. Seems a bit cumbersome but does work fine. I'd also like to fine a cleaner way to mount the clock to the wall - I found the approximate center weight point and drilled a hole through the top backing "rod" - you can see the gold screw in the picture. It's surprisingly heavy and when glued up very solid. It would be nice to totally hide the wall attachment but it does need a substantial mount.

Fun stuff.

Dan
    Share with Facebook  

Way cool!
    Share with Facebook