+ Reply to Thread

Some CNC Projects - Simple Clocks

I started a month or so ago with making a gear clock. I hope to get back to those plans at some point, but in the meantime I've been having a lot of fun designing clocks that just use the inexpensive battery motors. If ordered online the clock motor part is about $1.50 with free shipping.

So with the clock motor covered the focus goes to design. I've been using Inkscape for all of my CAD work and then Jscut for the CAM part - they play really well together.

My CNC machine is pretty small and has a cutting area of about 10" x 15". I did a quick little clock face design a couple weeks ago using 1/4" plywood. It came out cool and when I put the clock arms on it looked kinda neat. Super simple to do. But I wanted a bigger clock.

So after a lot of tinkering in Inkscape I designed a clock face and then cut it in half. After a lot of time cleaning up nodes, making some unions, and closing all of the shapes I had a half clock face I could send to Jscut and set up the tool paths. For this larger clock I used .5" pine boards and cut each half separately and then glued them together. This clock measures about 14" x 14". I added some balls from Michael's that I painted black.

I have the clock on a wall to the right of my desk here and have to admit it looks pretty cool.

Anyhow, pretty easy stuff here that anybody could do. Here are some pictures of the bigger clock and the original small one. The small one measures about 9" x 9".

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Some CNC Projects - Simple Clocks

Here is the clock on the wall.

The farther back you get the better it looks! Pretty typical of the quality of my work though...

Dan
    Share with Facebook  

Dan - I love Clocks.

Those are great.

Looks good on the wall too.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks, Leo. They are fun to make. It's pretty amazing how much some folks charge for them too. The parts certainly aren't expensive. The retro designs are a blast to tinker with.

Dan
    Share with Facebook