+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some help from the brain trust

I have 200' of air line for my compressor. The compressor is in my garage, about 125' back from the street. We park in the driveway, so when I have to inflate the tires, I have to drag out all that hose & deal with it afterwards.

What I need is some help designing & building a cheap cart so I can roll up the air hose after I'm done using it.
    I was thinking of a garden hose cart, but they only hold 100' of 5/8" hose. I have 3/8" air hose, so it still wouldn't hold all 200' of it.

Any ideas out there for a cheap, easy build? I must be overlooking the obvious here.
    Thanks for any help or links for making one of these.
    "Be happy in your work"...Colonel Saito
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Need some help from the brain trust

Put a quick coupling coming off the compressor and just keep enough hose connected to reach your vehicles. The excess hose, also with quick couplings can be stored and used only as needed. A retractable reel is also great for air hose.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Kinda pricey, but this would do the job.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...duct_8423_8423

The smaller ones are cheaper, but they only hold 100 ft. of hose.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0803_200310803
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Cody: 100' of this is a solid piece of hose. The other 100' is 2 -50' pieces connected. Both sections of line are connected by fittings, not a quick disconnect. Granted, I can separate them, but it's a PITA to do it, undo it, etc.

Stretch: Yeah, I saw those. Too expensive for my blood.

Thanks for the ideas though. I'm thinking of re-purposing a steel drum somehow.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Herb G View Post
    Cody: 100' of this is a solid piece of hose. The other 100' is 2 -50' pieces connected. Both sections of line are connected by fittings, not a quick disconnect. Granted, I can separate them, but it's a PITA to do it, undo it, etc....
    I do mine like like Cody suggested. I equipped all my hoses with quick connects. It's a lot easier to handle and store 3 separate hoses that one long bulky one.
    Quick connect female
    Quick connect male
    A lot cheaper than a hose reel.
    Mannie
    www.woodenwonderstx.com
    I hate it when people steal my ideas before I think of them.
    Share with Facebook  

Can you get a roll of the plastic plumbing tubing and bury it in the ground?

One exposed end at the compressor - the other end at the driveway.

Make up fittings on the ends to connect to your compressor and one for an air hookup with a tire fill hose and nozzle.

Then the messing is very minimal.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

The problem with underground air hoses is that they tend to fill with condensation water.

In your situation I would build a permanent air line from the compressor to some place just inside the garage door. There I would put a coupling and use hose from there onwards. Normally it should be possible to somehow drive the car close to the garage door.
    This way you would have an absolute minimum of air hoses to deal with before and after use and an absolute minimum of air hose to pay for.

I use an old hand pump for filling the tyres of my car and also for the trailer tyres and the front tyres of my tractor. For the rear tyres on the tractor I go to a neighbour who owns a compressor.
    Share with Facebook  

I was going to suggest the underground thing also.

But going back to the garden hose reel sounds like a much better solution. A reel that holds 100 feet of 5/8 garden hose is going to hold a lot more of 3/8 air hose.

I have a HF hose reel for 50 feet that holds 75 feet. The trick is to buy either the Goodyear red rubber hose or some of the blue poly sheathed hose from a big box store. Those hoses seem to be smaller in outside diameter than the cheaper Chinese stuff from HF and doesn't smell as bad. (Smaller OD = More hose on the reel)

BTW - The hose fittings (Brass) from HD or Lowes are rather good and inexpensive. I buy the "Universal" female couplers and they seem to last longer than either industrial or automotive. I have to replace the coupler every year or so. But I do leave my system under pressure all the time.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

At 3/8", you could fit 277.78' on that 100' @ 5/8ths hose reel, assuming those were OD numbers.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsMatt View Post
    At 3/8", you could fit 277.78' on that 100' @ 5/8ths hose reel, assuming those were OD numbers.
    I don't know about other air hose, but mine is measured in I.D. The outside is a tad over 5/8".
    I came up with an idea. I have a hand truck here. I also have a green steel hose hanger.
    You know the kind, your Dad probably had one on the house when you were a kid.
    If I mount a piece of plywood on the hand truck, then mount the hose hanger on it, I can wind up my air hose quickly, then wheel it into my garage.
    Share with Facebook