+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Icon5 Sandpaper storage

Right now the sandpaper for my ROS is just stacked in the cabinet, with no real separation of grits. I thought I've found a slightly better idea with a round plastic wide-mough bottle, but it turned out to be just slightly too small for the sanding disks. Any thoughts on storing sanding disks in a compact way, but still allow to keep the various grits separated?
    PP

"If they don't have woodworking in heaven, I ain't goin'."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Sandpaper storage

Legal size file folders laying flat. Write grit number on the tab.
    Don't do it vertical as the sand paper will curl.

Serge: It's already been submitted.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

I can't get a picture because I'm at work but what I did was make a holder for my 5" ROS discs. It's a rectangular box about 6" wide x 6" deep and 14" tall (inside dimensions) stood on end. I made it from some plywood scraps and put 1/4" deep x 1/4" wide kerfs in the sides about every 1 1/2 inches. 1/4" plywood dividers glued in the kerfs separate the various grits and the dividers have the grit written on the front with a sharpie...80-100-120-150-180-220-240

It's not pretty but it does the job and doesn't take up much space.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

The plastic containers that Frog tape come in are perfect...but you have to buy the tape first, and it's a ripoff. If you know a painter that uses it you might be able to bum the containers off him.

Click image for larger version

Name:	71i2tAsAGeL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	22005
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    I can't get a picture because I'm at work but what I did was make a holder for my 5" ROS discs. It's a rectangular box about 6" wide x 6" deep and 14" tall (inside dimensions) stood on end. I made it from some plywood scraps and put 1/4" deep x 1/4" wide kerfs in the sides about every 1 1/2 inches. 1/4" plywood dividers glued in the kerfs separate the various grits and the dividers have the grit written on the front with a sharpie...80-100-120-150-180-220-240

It's not pretty but it does the job and doesn't take up much space.
    Might have to check out my scrap pile. Thanks!
    PP

Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsMatt View Post
    The plastic containers that Frog tape come in are perfect...but you have to buy the tape first, and it's a ripoff. If you know a painter that uses it you might be able to bum the containers off him.

Attachment 22005
    I've got my first one from painting the closet, but still have about half the roll left in it. I'll have to see if the few painters I know use the stuff. That did give me an idea. I have an abundance of the Glad-Loc type disposable containers. A few of those in the right size would solve my problem, as well as make the new bride happy to have fewer in the cupboards. If not, I might find a set the right size at Dollar Tree for a buck. Gee! I wonder if that's why they call it a dollar store?
    PP

Share with Facebook  

There is another solution for sanding disks. Look around at swap meets and second hand stores for a floppy disk holder of the 5-1/4" variety. They're old, they're ancient, they're cheap. For storing sanding disks they're great.

Serge - It's been published.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by rrich View Post
    There is another solution for sanding disks. Look around at swap meets and second hand stores for a floppy disk holder of the 5-1/4" variety. They're old, they're ancient, they're cheap. For storing sanding disks they're great.

Serge - It's been published.
    That's opened a whole new area of possibilities. Even the GladLoc type sandwich boxes and such may work. I'll be checking my pantry for those I don't use and hitting the thrift stores to check for other ideas.

Thanks!
    PP

Share with Facebook  

Here's my sandpaper storage. It ain't pretty but it works for me. If you are a woodworker, these things should be easy.

I have made a bunch of impractical sanding blocks but the Oak one in the pic was my favorite so I copied it for the others. The caddy was inspired by one in WOOD magazine.

The disk storage is as described previously.

I made the sheet storage holder probably 8 or 10 years ago. It works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sanding Blocks.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	22019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sanding Disk Storage (2).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	22020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sanding Sheet Storage.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	22021  
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

A plug for the end of sheet metal pipe works just fine. I always stack the sheets according to grit with a piece of thin plywood to separate the grits. I only keep a few grits on hand so I don't worry about a complex filing system. I always keep a heavy weight on top to prevent curling.
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook