+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A new band saw

Re: A new band saw

Thanks for the advice!
    I will probably start the bandsaw rebuild in a few weeks. First I will finish the grinder for spindle moulder cutters which has been a heap of parts for one and a half year. I can only do this kind of things 1 or 2 hours a day so progress is slow.

My traning is highest in priority as I am slowly rebuilding my dysfunctional back. The pain has gone down 70 or 80 % so far and I still make progress towards the predicted almost full recovery. By far the toughest machine rebuild I have ever done
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Both my health and my bandsaw are recovering slowly and steadily.

The bandsaw is now repainted and has gotten all new bearings and a new motor mount and a secondhand motor. The next step will be making some new wheel guards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1987.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	22091   Click image for larger version

Name:	beronius5.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	22092   Click image for larger version

Name:	beronius6.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	22093  
    Share with Facebook  

It's looking great, TW.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Glad to hear your health is improving. Great work on the saw. I enjoy watching this stuff.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

I am working on the guards little by little.

While doing this I have started to think about the upper guides. The old ones are home made and not very good. I need an upgrade. A new set of professional quality upper guides for a bandsaw of this size would cost 200 euros which is quite a bit of money.

Does someone have a good design for home made roller guides?
    Share with Facebook  

I don't have a design but for a classy saw like that one, Carter guides would sure be the icing on the cake.

Whatever you decide on, I'm sure it will be good because everything you do is top notch.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

I have seen those old style Carter guides on the Internet and they surely look solid and well made but they would cost over 200 euros with custom fees and shipping.....plus the fact that spare wear pads would have to be ordered from USA at significant cost every time they wear out.
    There has to be a cheaper way....... either using ball bearings or some kind of guide blocks that can be purchased locally.
    Share with Facebook  

Looking nice! I love old tools. Geez that does look heavy though. Periodically I torque my back and can't do much for a couple weeks. The older I get the more I like lighter tools. I do envy those with large band saws though. Enjoy.

Dan
    Share with Facebook  

Progress
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	beronius9.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	22136  
    Share with Facebook  

The guard is looking good, TW. Great start.

I see a serious stack of firwood in the background, too. We're still hitting the mid 90's here.
    Cody

Share with Facebook