+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A new band saw

A new band saw

Potential customers still call so I have made up my mind to start with carpentry and joinery again as soon as I am healthy enough. With more emphasis on joinery to put less strain on my back. Maybe next winter.

For that I need a bandsaw. Last week I was fortunate to stumble on a nice one and the owner wanted only 300 euros. A 24 inch E.V.Beronius manufactured in Eskilstuna in Sweden sometimes before 1917. A very high quality saw with ball bearings which was the very latest in machinery design at the time. Originally line shaft powered but retrofillted with a too small motor with totally wrong pulley ratio. I still have some savings so I decided to buy it because I am not likely to find another affordable bandsaw of this size and quality anytime soon. When my back allows I will rebuild it so it is ready for use once I get the business going again.

Investing my way out of uneployment........ with very little money.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	beronius1.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	21975   Click image for larger version

Name:	beronius2.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	21976   Click image for larger version

Name:	beronius3.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	21977  
    Last edited by TW; 05-25-2015 at 3:19 pm.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: A new band saw

Very cool! That's quite a machine.

Whole dang thing's made of cast iron, eh? Including the wheel cover(s)?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Yep. Both wheel covers are cast like almost everything else.

I have a 1980-ies 3kW 3 phase Strömberg motor which will replace the pre-war 2,2kW Strömberg motor that had been retrofitted at some point in the past.

I have taken the saw apart totally and all mechanical parts are pretty sound except the bearings and of cause the motor retrofit. The lower wheel guard in damaged beyond repair so I have to make a sheetmetal replacement unfortunately.

By the way the table and upper wheel guard and blade tensioning counterweiht are all in good shape. They are missing from the pictures only because I removed them for transport.
    The fence and mitre gauge are missing but I have a suitable mitre guauge in store.
    Last edited by TW; 05-25-2015 at 8:20 pm.
    Share with Facebook  

Very cool TW. I couldn't survive without a band saw and getting a better one will be my next major shop upgrade. You did well.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

That thing is beast! I'm sure you will have it hummin' and looking great soon. I'm looking forward to the restored pics.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

I have postponed the cirkular rip saw project and will try to get the band saw running first.

I haven't used a band saw since vocational school which was 15 years ago so I am pondering a bit over fence designs.
    Should the fence work on both the left and the right side of the blade?
    Should the fence be adjustable to compensate for blade drift?

Some say that a 24" saw does not take blades any wider than 30mm (about 1 1/4 inch). Is this correct?
    Share with Facebook  

The fence on a band saw is not as vital as a fence on a table saw, The fence on my band saw doesn't get used very often. Depending upon the quality of the blade the fence might get used for resawing. Although I usually prefer to use a round point when resawing. The round point makes it easier to compensate for blade drift. Oh, my fence only will work to the left of the blade, I think.
    Last edited by rrich; 05-27-2015 at 5:20 am.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

I doubt I will resaw much on this saw once the cirkular rip saw is up and running. I think the band saw will be used most for cutting tennons and slots for window sash corners and casement corners. For that the fence is a vital part.
    Share with Facebook  

That is quite an impressive piece of machinery.

I get to see old iron from time to time in different factories I visit.

They are ALWAYS impressive.

I use my band saw all the time.

I wish the fence could go on both sides.

I think you will be happy you did if you make the fence work on both sides. In fact, if you could have a "dual" fence that would even be better.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by TW View Post
    Should the fence work on both the left and the right side of the blade?

The fence on my band saw stays on the left side the majority of the time. The only time I move it to the right side is if I have the table tilted.

Should the fence be adjustable to compensate for blade drift?

You should be able to eliminate blade drift via the blade tracking and guide adjustment. If you do have to use an angled fence, I would suggest a temporary one and keep the regular fence parallel to the blade.

Some say that a 24" saw does not take blades any wider than 30mm (about 1 1/4 inch). Is this correct?

I'm not sure but that sounds about right. My 17" saw specifies a maximum 1" width blade but I've actually had a 1 1/4" blade on it for sawing short logs. (only did it once) I can't see much need for anything wider than 1 1/4". Hitachi once made a band saw that had a 3" blade IIRC but resawing can be done with a much narrower blade if the saw is set up right.

Good luck with the saw.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook