+ Reply to Thread

Icon5 Painting a Closet

Jana is going to be in Virginia for a week visiting her daughter before she returns home to Austrailia. I'm hoping to get the walk-in closet painted while she is gone, so it is ready for hanging her clothes upon her return.

If it were just the walls, calculating the amount of paint would be easy, but it is an 8'x8' closet with built-in shelves and rods on two walls. Without hours of measuring each shelf, how to I determine the amount of paint I'll need? Also, Jana would like a gloss finish. I'm thinking semi-gloss would be a better option. Any thoughts?

Painting the closet would probably be easier if I could take out the shelving and paint everything separately. Since it was a previous owner built unit, and there is nowhere to put the shelving while I paint it, I stuck with trying to paint walls around the units and painting the units in place. If I could afford it, I'd just hire a painter. What will probably take me most of the week, a pro could turn out in just one day.
    PP

"If they don't have woodworking in heaven, I ain't goin'."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Painting a Closet

The paint situation has been figured out. Now I have to determine what to use for the closet rods. Over an 8' span, which is stronger (all approximately 1 1/4")? Standard hollow closet rods? Galvanized pipe? Wood dowel? They will be supported with end brackets and/or the combination rod and shelf brackets.
    PP

Share with Facebook  

I usually use galvanized conduit and would try to support a span of that length in the middle somehow.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

I usually use galvanized pipe. You'll need center support for an 8' span.
    Last edited by CajunRider; 05-13-2015 at 3:26 am.
    Share with Facebook  

I use something like this to support the rod in the middle.
    Mannie
    www.woodenwonderstx.com
    I hate it when people steal my ideas before I think of them.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I use something like this to support the rod in the middle.
    We ended up using wooden rods, with 3 of those brackets on each rod. That allowed us to run the rod on the 8' wall full length, and I'll be mounting a 10" deep shelf on top. The adjoining wall has a 64" rod, mounted higher to allow for hanging my vestments, biblical costumes, and Jana's longer dresses. It also leaves room for shoes and such underneath, with the possibility of a short rod mounted lower for short items top and bottom.

Tomorrow, my neighbor, a licensed electrician we go to church with, is coming over to install a receptacle high on the closet wall and a switch on the bedroom side of the wall. We'll mount a 24" 2-tube LED fixture on the suspended ceiling for lots of light. Mount a full-length mirror and later paint and install baseboard, then this project is done.
    PP

Share with Facebook