+ Reply to Thread

Raised Letters - Pocketing Test - Free Software

My first stab at making raised letters with a surrounding pocket. Came out really clean and matched almost exactly what the simulation showed. There was a small section on the simulation that showed where the "r" was just slightly connected to the "k" and sure enough, in reality, it was.

I made the quick sign design in Inkscape, saved it as an SVG, and then opened it up in Jscut.

The simulation in Jscut also said the whole cut would take 27.4 minutes. In reality it took 29, pretty darn close.

This was just done in cheap pine so there's a slight bit of fraying and tear out but very very little. The end mill was super cheap - about a dollar an end mill. It cost $10.49 for a package of 10 and geez are these little things crazy sharp. For light wood and just tinkering around I think they will do fine.

For this cut I set each depth cut pass at .125" and for pine that seemed okay. Feed rate at 30ipm. If I was doing hard wood I would probably cut that depth cut each time to maybe half that.

So, just practicing here. It's been a busy and exhausting work week so I just wanted to cut something this evening. And with this machine so quiet I really can cut in the evening, in the basement, with everyone home and not make much noise - the enclosure helps a lot too.

Dan
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Raised Letters - Pocketing Test - Free Software

Dan that looks really good.

You didn't saw what diameter the end mill was, but a general rule of thumb is - depth of cut (DOC) is 1/2 diameter. That is what we use in metal cutting, and generally thought in non metals also.

The parameters you used in pine should also work in hardwood. Where pine is soft and a bit "sticky", the hardwood cut's easier.

30-IPM sounds REALLY slow to me.

Time estimating in software cannot relate to your particular machine, so they "may" have added a scaling factor that you can set to adjust for your machine.

The text in a pocket looks great. One other thing you may try to add more "character" is a 120 degree to mill the tops of the letters to make them "prismatic".

I love watching how you go about doing this stuff on the inexpensive side of the argument. There is a lot to be learned from that.

Viktor - is a really good and highly experienced guy in that arena.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks Leo. And FANTASTIC suggestion on changing the angle to 120. That is exactly what I was trying to figure out how to do the other day. I ran the simulation and here is the picture of the same workshop sign with the angle changed from 180 to 120. I haven't cut it yet though to see how it really looks, but the simulation was dead on yesterday with the straight cuts.

If this does work it opens up some really cool options.

The end mill I'm using is a .125" : 1/8" Carbide Flat Nose End Mill CNC Router Bits Single Flute Spiral 17mm

Here's the simulation snapshot (and I have to admit, having a good simulator is so nice...saves so much wasted material, time, headache)

Dan
    Share with Facebook  

Another Cool Virtual Test

Here is another just for fun sign I was playing with. An imaginary company called Gearworks. The cogs were snipped from some screen shots online and then tinkered with in Inkscape. The outline of the sign was from combining shapes and doing a union also in Inkscape.

The fake phillips screw heads were just circle shapes in Inkscape and then I put a text plus sign in the middle and did a new machine operation to engrave just the plus sign. Sorta kinda looks like a screw head with the rounded angles.

This is also with the angle setting of 120.

Dan
    Share with Facebook  

I would still use the straight end mill in addition to the 120 cutter.

Cut the pocket deeper with the straight cutter so the letters have straight sides, but only the tops are angled.
    Share with Facebook  

Bummer.... I'm currently running another test of the same workshop sign and while the program, Jscut has the angle field there it only affects the engraving option - not pocketing, or outline, or any of the other operational choices.

The simulator will show the angle cut, but in reality the program follows a set 180 degree setting for everything but engraving.

Bummer! But, hey, it's still an awesome and free program that works very well. Maybe I can fudge something with using a different cutter somehow. Hmmmmmm

Always learning...

Oh - Leo, I did as you suggested, I set the cut per pass to half of the .125" end mill dimension and then raised the feed rate to 50. The machine seems perfectly happy with that and it's flying around pretty fast.

Dan
    Share with Facebook  

Not bummer - you just don't get a pretty preview, but you can still do it.

In the way back time - we never had "preview".

We did "preview" in our minds eye.
    Share with Facebook