+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: House Siding

House Siding

Have you ever sided a house before?

I am wondering if I should do it myself - 60 years old and not as energetic as I used to be.

I don't care if it takes 3-5 years or so.

How is the trim done?

OR

Should I hire a contractor?

What kind of siding is good - not so good --- WHY?

What do I need to know that I do not know?
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: House Siding

I used Hardi-panel on my shop and was able to do most of it myself, but I wouldn't do it again. Sheets of that stuff are heavy. I love the product though, it's tough as nails and for some home owners insurance counts as masonry for impact resistance. I've got a new rent house that needs to be sided, and we're going to do Hardi-Plank. Same product but goes on like lap siding. It's really easy to install for two people but you need to use a nail gun. Tearing off the old siding will probably take longer than putting on the new. It comes primed so you can move straight to paint after installing. They also sell trim made of the same material, and the stuff lasts forever so you'd never need to do, or have the job done, again in your lifetime.

https://www.jameshardie.com/
    Last edited by Stretch; 04-07-2015 at 5:43 pm.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Leo I have done some siding with vinyl. Putting up scaffolding is the hardest job.
    Fred
    http://steercreekwood.com/

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
    Share with Facebook  

We did our house in 2010 and the Bodyshop in 2012. I wanted cement board lap siding but the place I was getting it from (Knect's) told me they were having trouble with the manufacturer warranting the finish. So they wound up selling me a product called LP SmartSide.
    http://www.lpcorp.com/products/sidin...e-trim-siding/

We chose the Maple color:
    http://www.diamondkoteprefinishing.c...ndPremium.aspx

I was a little concerned because the finish is/was only guaranteed for 5 years (the substrate is guaranteed for 50 years) but so far it has held up very well. I compared the sunny side of the house siding with some I've had in my woodshop and can't see any difference in color (no fading or wear). I'm glad we went this way as it's a lot easier to work with than cement board siding.

Click image for larger version

Name:	housesiding01.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	21876 Click image for larger version

Name:	housesiding01a.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	21877 Click image for larger version

Name:	housesiding02.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	21878 Click image for larger version

Name:	housesiding02a.JPG
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	21879 Click image for larger version

Name:	housesiding03.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	21880 Click image for larger version

Name:	housesiding04.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	21881
    I built some holders to aid in installing the siding and we did rent a man lift for 1 weekend for $100 for the tall side of the house.

Name:	housesiding05.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	21882 Click image for larger version

Name:	housesiding06.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	21883 Click image for larger version

Name:	housesiding07.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	21884
    As for the trim, the doors and windows I replaced had baked green on metal frames, for the wood framed windows I didn't replace I sanded, primed and painted them before installing the siding, some of them I had to make extensions for because I didn't want to remove the old siding. I used green vented aluminum panels for the under hangs also before installing the siding.

Name:	housesiding08.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	21885 Click image for larger version

Name:	housesiding08a.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	21886 Click image for larger version

Name:	housesiding09.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	21887
    The bodyshop sided with the same LP SmartSide siding in the same finish. Pretty easy and straightforward.

I hope that helps some Leo?

Thanks ~Mike
    If at first you succeed, try to hide your astonishment.
    Share with Facebook  

When I was 13 or 14 my father forced me to help him doing the siding on a beach house. (Breezy Point, NY)

The beach house had clap board siding. That we covered with felt tar paper and then those fibrous tar shingles with colored pebbles. There was stuff that we put on the corners that resembled a ridge cap. (Right angled and overlapped from bottom up) Around the doors and windows we but a black gooey tar type substance from a caulking gun and then slid the shingle into place and nailed it into place.

OK, I'm almost 73 now. Back then I was working with shingles that were 36" x 12" (not sure of size) that might of weighed a few pounds. With some help I probably could put up the tar paper. I could probably install and move the scaffolding and install those shingles.

The question is, would I do the job again if I were 50 years younger? The answer is not just no but H*** NO!

You probably could spend all summer, evenings and weekends doing the job. You could not spend 3-5 years doing the job due to weather issues. You don't want to get water behind your work.

My advice would be to have Diane pick the look that she likes. Then have the job done by a licensed contractor. If you really want to be involved in the project, just set up an umbrella table, sip lemonade or ice tea and watch. As the project progresses you'll be saying to yourself, "I'm so glad that I'm not doing this."
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

I've done vinyl on my house - it's just like hanging a picture on the wall. Hang it loose, use a level every so often, and cut a notch to let them expand....easy!
    Share with Facebook  

From what I have found out so far - 2 days thinking about it - 375 days to go - is that the good grades of vinyl look REALLY attractive.

I am looking at Certainteed cedar 7" double row random offset or whatever they call it. It even has a great rating in cold weather impact. NOT inexpensive - not at all.

http://www.certainteed.com/products/...-siding/310332

Standing at the road - you CANNOT tell that this is not the real cedar.

ONLY - if you tap on it can you tell that is is plastic - even then - you may doubt yourself.

What I want is something I don't need to paint - ever again.

It must be easy install.

I will rent no equipment - this is likely to take me 4 years to complete.

This is a 2016 - 2017 project - so I have a long time to plan it out.
    Share with Facebook  

Magic words "What I want is something I don't need to paint - ever again." That is my mantra also.

On my house, the bottom half is vinyl. About 20 years??? The whole house is stucco which is probably inappropriate for your area due to weather. But the other thing that I did was have the eves wrapped in aluminum. The stuff around the windows is wrapped in aluminum also.

Name:	P4080360.jpg
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	21894

The gutters were done at the same time as the eves wrap. The stucco was done and the color is in the stucco. I haven't painted in over 25 years, except for the blue on the front door. The grass hasn't been watered in about 10 years.

The exterior maintenance is about every 6 months or so, to use the shop-vac on the front lawn to pick up the stuff from the neighbor's trees. Every few years I borrow the neighbor's pressure washer and do the eves and vinyl.

The average time spent on maintenance annually is probably 4 hours.

As for doing it yourself? I would go the ice tea route.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Stucco works here. My neighbor has stucco. They are also business owners and their workers did the work back in the recession when the work was low. I don't have that luxury.

The development in materials just keeps getting better all the time. If you have 25 years on your vinyl I am sure what I install will last at least as long. The Certainteed I was looking at is one of the highest rated systems on consumer reports.

My house is never going to look as pristine as your house. I just don't have the fortitude to get there.

On the gutters - I will hire that out and have a gutter guy make all the seamless stuff and be done with it.

I think I am going to replace all the fascia and trim with PVC.

There is a lot to think about and a lot of planning.
    Share with Facebook  

This may be a stupid question but why not use wood?

I do some siding now and then. Always spruce. Usually vertical board and batten but sometimes vertical tongue and groove. Easy and straightforward and not very heavy work. With decent quality wood of decent thickness (minimum 7/8" preferably 1") and good quality paint it lasts very long. Repainting every 15-20 years and new siding every 70-150 years is pretty common. In exceptional cases the siding on an east facing wall may last up to 250 years with some minor repairs.

Synthetic siding isn't common in Finland. It has a solid bad reputation. That stuff doesn't last.
    Last edited by TW; 04-17-2015 at 1:51 pm.
    Share with Facebook