+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mortiser DIY

Mortiser DIY

I'm looking for mortising setup. I already have a Steel City chisel mortiser. It's OK as far as a bench top machine goes but I've got an idea for something better. If I could get my hands on a mortising setup that was powered with a router motor and a collet setup to accept router bits. The base would be a precision x-y cross slide vice to hold the parts.

The current motor is 1/2hp; 120v; 5.6 amp running at 1725 rpm. Is there a way to rewire this motor to give me 15,000 plus rpm? I'd also need to up the HP to at least 2 hp. Can this be done? The drill chuck would be replaced with a setup for router collets and bits. I can pick up the cross slide from Enco, Grizzly or other vendors of machine shop supplies.

What do you guys think? Am I on to something orwhat?
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Mortiser DIY

Art,

BTDT

I bought a Grizzly horizontal drill ($600 or so). It does what you describe. The bit turns too slow. I do use it to make precision positioned mortises. It does a fair job using a plunge-able 3/8" router bit. It does a better job than my Shop Fox chisel mortise.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that you have to really play with the cutting. One eighth at a time, overlap holes and finally clean out the webs between. A real PITA.

Final analysis

Would I do it again? In a word, NO!
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks for the reply.
    Question: what rpm were you working with? Were you using a collet to hold the bit, or just the drill chuck?

I'd really like build around the design of a typical bench top mortiser. I'm wondering if I could replace the present motor with one that would run somewhere above 15000 rpm. Then I would add a collet chuck and cross vise to hold the material and move the part through the cut.

I LOVE building with M&T joints. Over I the years I've used every get by setup imaginable - and dreamed of the perfect of what the "perfect" mortiser. I keep going back to the adove design. I've also wondering if a drill press could be modified the same way. If I could find a small vertical mill that would run at router speed it would be perfect since they come standard with a working vise. Alas I've never found one that ran higher than about 3000 rpm. Maybe I could rewire/gear a small Bridgeport for this. That would be great if I could get the high speed w/out loosing the low end. That way I could mortise wood and mill metal on the same machine.

Dreams can be tormenting if you can't fulfill them.

'
    Last edited by art3427; 03-25-2015 at 3:27 pm.
    art

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook  

Art,
    The RPM is either 1750 or 3450. (Typical 60 Hz motor)

The router bit is held with a chuck.

It gets worse.

I had to move the table up about 3 inches so that I could do mortises. The fence had to be replaced because it was about 3/8 high. I used the blade from an adjustable square to replace the fence. (About 1/8 thick) I also had to weld the table bracket to the support upright for stability.

As I said I wouldn't do it again. If I could figure out how to mount a router in place of the electric motor I would. But then the higher speed and exposed bit just scares the poop out of me.

The whole thing works but is underwhelming. After all the screwing around I understand why the David Marks Multi-router costs so much. I would probably buy the Multi-router if I did mortises on a production basis.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/m...model101l.aspx
    Rich

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Why not this? (hat tip to our very own Stretch):

Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post

If the job I'm currently bidding comes through, I'll be building a heavier duty version of this.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post

Thanks Beams, I've considered a horizontal approach. However, I just like to see the bit when it's working. It's just that I've always been somewhat of a "different stroke" kinda' guy.

I think I've about got it figured out - in my head anyway. I've also got everything I need to do a complete build onhand . . . . except a danged ole' round tuit.
    art

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook  

Art,
    There is one in Work Bench. (Way back)

I have it on paper. If you want I'll scan it and send it to you.
    Rich

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Have you looked at overhead routers? They come up often and cheaply on eBay in the UK
    Share with Facebook  

This is a Davis and Well horizontal boring machine with a Felder XY table. It is slow speed, relatively speaking, but the mortises are absolutely perfect and I can hold a conversation while using it.

The problem with any router-based mortise is that the cut is always composed of 1/2 climb cut. The bit then naturally pulls into the cheek of the mortise. Shallower cuts help to minimize this, but the result then is a potential to wallow the mortise with repeated passes. Not a big deal if you cut your mortise then size your tenon to it, as it proper workflow. It is also important to eliminate any slop in the XY mechanism.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	21850  
    Last edited by pwjacobs; 03-29-2015 at 6:58 pm.
    Paul
    Share with Facebook