+ Reply to Thread

Having problems drilling pen blanks?

Well, I was because my drill press table moved around when I used it. I would keep blowing out the sides of my pen blanks. I even bought a pen blank vise for the drill press table, had the same problem.
    I tried everything to keep it from moving, nothing worked. Until..I discovered it was the table elevation rack that was moving around. I tried to tighten up the collar, didn't work either.
    Then one day by chance, I noticed the collar was sitting cocked to one side on the steel column. I took my mallet & tapped it level, and no more table moving around.

So, before you go tearing your drill press apart thinking it's the quill or bearings, check the column rack collar & make sure it's sitting level.

Hope this helps someone.
    "Be happy in your work"...Colonel Saito
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Having problems drilling pen blanks?

When setting up to drill blanks with a drill press, make sure the table is level and plumb with the drill bit in the chuck.

Les

Les in Red Deer

Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Share with Facebook  

That's good advice there, Les. I had everything plumb, level, square, etc. But, every time I moved the chuck up & down, the durn thing would end up going sideways right at the bottom of the blank. I checked my bits for being flat, they were. Checked the quill for looseness, nothing there either.

It was just dumb luck that I noticed the collar was sitting off level when I discovered the problem was caused by that one little thing. Amazing, isn't it?
    Share with Facebook  

The table should clamp down tight regardless of what the rack is doing.
    Share with Facebook  

Since the rack was loose, the table swung on it's center axis. The rack would deflect just enough from being loose that the table would swing about 1/2" or so.
    Share with Facebook