+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Mixol - opinions?

Yeah - i feel the same way, Leo.

So here's the kit that started me down this road:

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and...10_colors.html

That's the guitar maker's set - i am pretty sure it's transtint but just relabelled. Trouble is, they also renamed some of the colors enough that it cast some doubt that I could just get them directly from transtint for less money -- the transtint color set doesn't match up quite the same -- they don't have a "Cherry Red" but they do have a "Bright Red" - i feel like this is a clever game of marketing though and wanted to get to the bottom of the color choices.

I suppose in the end, the price for the stewmac set isn't so bad.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    Definitely gotta resist the cheapness urges ...

I had thought the mixol was more versatile and offered more color options ... which i thought was a good thing.

I still have no idea what the difference is between a dye and a pigment vs. a stain or a tint or ... whatever other stuff they call 'em

There's a transtint set out there - it's fewer colors, but if they'll work better, I'll go with them instead.

Thanks for the input, fellas!
    The difference between dyes and pigments is basically particle size. Dyes are much smaller. For the wood to take color, particles have to fit into pores and voids in the wood. If the particles are bigger than the voids, then the wood doesn't take color. This is why dye will give you a more even color on bare wood. The particles are so small that they fit into the differing void sizes even in the denser portions of the wood.

As far as color options go, don't forget you can mix colors to make custom shades. Stay away from aniline dyes as they fade like crazy. Dyes will not be as color fast as pigments, but the metalized dyes like Transtint are way more color fast than the aniline dyes, in the tests we did, the Transtint dyes held their color very well.

If you haven't read it yet, take a look at Bob Flexner's book Understanding Wood Finishes. Make sure you get the revised and updated version. His approach to finishing is more that of an engineer speaking to the chemical and physical properties of the finish.

http://smile.amazon.com/Understandin...+wood+finishes
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-t...st-finish.aspx

On the otherhand, UTC colors work with everthing from water to oil
    Last edited by Wisardd1; 02-12-2015 at 7:36 pm.
    Charter Member of The Cody Colston WoodWorkers Benevolence Society
    Share with Facebook  

I really liked that video - the technique is really where it is at. He is using the Aniline Dye which I have also heard many times over is not as good as the metalized dye of Transtint.

This thread is really stiring up my desire to get back into some of these beautiful woods and get some GREAT coloring underway.

I think there is some tremendous opportunity cor these coloring techniques on some boxes ---- RICK??? Are you reading this stuff.

Anyway - that is where I want to go with it.

Still - I will continue to call it a Guitar finish.

Jason - I am sure you will develop this thread into a great looking guitar.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Mohawk, great company, has some deep stain/dyes as does General finishes. I have used both for different applications. Transtint is too expensive for what you get in my opinion.
    Charter Member of The Cody Colston WoodWorkers Benevolence Society
    Share with Facebook  

The transtint is expensive - yes - BUT. It is very very concentrated and makes a huge amount of dye that you actually use.

I use a syringe to measure out what I need to mix.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook