+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mixol - opinions?

So I'm starting to think about the finish for my guitar project. It needs to be red. REALLY red - but allow the grain of the awesome quilted maple pop, for sure. I fully plan to practice lots of times on scrap and get it nailed down for sure.

However - since this guitar building thing appears to be taking hold of me, I can see that I'm gonna need to be able to repeat this glorious "make it pop" tinting thing fairly often. And I don't like the idea of committing to a single pint of color without knowing what it'll do or have many options to change it.

So this brings me to a system. I'm gonna want some kinda system for mixing up various colors and applying it in various ways. As a stain/dye, as a washcoat, as a glaze, as a tinted build coat, etc. So the idea of universal pigments came across my screen in my hunting around ... and Mixol showed up as having a LOT of choices for colors and seems to be really ideal for me.

I especially like the universality of the pigment. I also like its claims of being colorfast as well. Since what I will be coloring will likely be on display in a fair bit of light most of its life.

So ... what say our wood coloring folks? Is Mixol good?

I looked at Transtint, too, but there aren't as many options and it isn't QUITE as versatile (though still very much so) and it's not as colorfast, from what I'm reading.

What are your thoughts, folks?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Mixol - opinions?

I have not done a lot - just a tiny bit.

I bit the bullet and bought several colors of transtint - just to try and find out.

I have actually watched a pile of Guitar build for the finishing and of the ones I watched - transtint was what was being used. Not to say - that transtint is the "correct" choice - just saying that is what was used in the vids.

I did like what I saw - hence the reason I bought what I did buy. It was one of those Christmas so I had some gift money things.

I did try it on some of Ricks quilted Maple - and on the back of my "Carry On" picture frame. I posted the picture frame.

From the videos I watched and from my tinkering, I will say for sure - it will take some learning. It's NOT a straight out of the can process.

In the vids - the guys were doing several coats and very particular about HOW they were doing it.

I like the colors

I really love the finishes I see on guitars and am on a quest to develop that "Guitar Finish".
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Just another thought

Looking at the Mixol Pigmant I just wonder - what does this really mean?

Remember, Mixols are NOT PAINTS. They are a tinting medium containing no binder and MUST be added to another finish for proper application and adhesion.

Trainstint is mixed with either water of with DNA - I prefer water. It will tint the wood - period. You must use a finish like Lacquer or something over it.

Does the above mean that you mix the Mixol into the Lacquer?
    Hmmmm - that does seem interesting!!
    Share with Facebook  

Share with Facebook  

Here's the thing. A pigment will always be more color fast than a dye. As dyes go, transtint is going to be about as good as it gets for colorfastness. For coloring raw maple, I definitely prefer to use a dye versus using a pigment. I think you'll get the pop you're looking for from the dye. Transtint can be mixed with lacquer for tinting and in general, dyes will be better in that application, although pigments can be used as well. The reality is you have to find the look you're after, and you probably need to bite the bullet to buy some materials to test with. You've got like a thousand hours in this guitar, and even though I am fully aware that you are The Beamer, now is not the time to be cheap and skimp on a finish. Get it right and you'll have it right down the road for every other guitar you'll do.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Definitely gotta resist the cheapness urges ...

I had thought the mixol was more versatile and offered more color options ... which i thought was a good thing.

I still have no idea what the difference is between a dye and a pigment vs. a stain or a tint or ... whatever other stuff they call 'em

There's a transtint set out there - it's fewer colors, but if they'll work better, I'll go with them instead.

Thanks for the input, fellas!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

General Finishes Cranberry Gel Stain???

The wood is cherry and the picture taken in bright sunlight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P5090105.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	21692  
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

I'm looking more for a system ... whereby i can create any color i'm after by mixing a few drops from the various colors in the system. I'm hoping to develop my chosen method for creating a guitar finish - in any color - as easily and predictably as possible.

So now I'm back to transtint ... though, I just stumbled upon these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dye-Kit-5-Vi...item339c331e63

Seems too good to be true to me, honestly...
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Last edited by autobodyman; 02-12-2015 at 4:02 pm.
    If at first you succeed, try to hide your astonishment.
    Share with Facebook  

I would NOT be thinking price - unless of course it was really stupid like $2000 or something like that.

I - WOULD - be cautious about quality. I said transtint - but would not likely consider "other" brands.

I don't think I would have gone for that EBAY deal.

I don't know enough about the colorants to talk intellegently about the differences, but there are differences.

What I do take into consideration is WHO is giving me information and WHAT they have DONE and HOW their work stand the test of time. Also - how many times they have used their process. I really don't put a lot of stock into advice from someone that has only done it once before - like me.

I like to hear a person say in a video "Well the last 5 times I did this the process needed to be refined, so now I do it this way and the last 2 times it worked out well". At least I can know this guy is not a rookie.

There are a LOT of one hit wonders out there that claim to be experts.

I FULLY agree with Mark - YOU - need to do some testing and experimenting. This is why I stepped up to the plate and bought some transtint. Even if I am wrong and the transtint is not the good stuff I have heard - at least after ME testing - "I" - will be satisfied to KNOW the difference. There is always a price associated with learning.
    Last edited by Leo Voisine; 02-12-2015 at 4:03 pm.
    Share with Facebook