+ Reply to Thread

A Little Segmented Bowl

Hello all! Finding time for wood projects is always hard, but lately I've been bitten by the turning bug. (A couple years ago it was the CNC...) But this turning/lathe thing has really grabbed me. Eventually I have some plans of marrying a segmented bowl with the CNC for some carved rim text.

Anyhow, I was wandering around the local hardware store a month ago and stumbled onto some really cool hardwood garden stakes. I have no idea what the wood is, it doesn't look pressure treated in any way, and had some very nice grain. Cheap too, which is always important. I bought some, glued them together, ran some measurement numbers on an online segment calculator, and then cut them up. After the glue up I turned the bowl and it came out pretty cool. (Friends and family are now asking for them and I can't wait to get back to it and tinker around some more)

And here's the YouTube video of the process.

All comments are welcome.

Dan
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: A Little Segmented Bowl

Looks good. Candy sent. The white wood looks like para (rubber tree) and the dark is probably meranti(a specie of mahogany I believe). Both grow like weeds in some of the tropical regions. Para usually comes from rubber plantations where they are harvested when the trees productive cycle peaks and begins to decline. They cut the mature tree and replant so the supply is sustainable.
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook  

Question. How did the wood do on the lathe? I also noticed a scraper looking lathe tool with a carbide insert cutterin one pic. How do you rate their performance when compared to HSS tools?
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook  

I was going to say the lighter wood looked like rubber wood, but art beat me to it! Same stuff a lot of the box stores use for their solid wood furniture. Makes decent furniture, and almost looks like oak with a dark stain on it, but it's hard to get longer straight boards, hence why it's always finger jointed short segments.
    Share with Facebook  

Hi guys, thanks for the input. Very appreciated. I was wondering what kind of wood it was. The little sticker next to the pile of garden stakes just said hardwood, so I really didn't have any idea.

The wood cut well. I have some diy made carbide cutters that didn't have any problems with it. It was hard to find some straight pieces - most/many were pretty warpy. Seemed like the darker wood was straighter than the white.

I've made several of these bowls and just gave them away to family. I keep being told to sell some of this stuff but as of yet I just haven't. Same with the CNC work. I'm just learning here though.

Thanks again for the replies.

Dan
    Share with Facebook