+ Reply to Thread

Icon5 What kind of door?

One of the things I hope to accomplish sometime this year is to install a door between my two garages. Right now there is just the rough opening with a little trim here and there. I don't know if the previous owner started to hang a door and never finished, or if he had one in place but took it out.

I've haven't done any pricing, but a friend told me that I'd save quite a bit buying a door, installing the frame from scratch, and then hanging the door. I'm thinking that a pre-hung door would be much easier to install and wouldn't be that much more expensive. Some of the borgs and local lumber companies frequently have good sales on pre-hung doors.

Any thoughts on which is the better option? Also, what type of door should I get. The main purpose would be to isolate the second, smaller garage from my main garage which is my shop. The smaller garage has a poorly hung overhead door and other problems that would make it too difficult to heat and cool along with the main garage. Right now it is just lumber and lawn care storage, and eventually I hope to make it into a place to park a second car.
    PP

"If they don't have woodworking in heaven, I ain't goin'."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: What kind of door?

I go pre-hung when I can. If you watch sales and such you can find them for pretty cheap.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    I go pre-hung when I can. If you watch sales and such you can find them for pretty cheap.
    That was my thinking, but I'm not sure what type. Hollow core probably wouldn't keep the cold out. Out near Fort Leonard Wood there is a place that sells the surplus building materials and such that come out of the fort. Maybe I can find the size I need; possibly in a steel-clad.
    PP

Share with Facebook  

If the wall between the two sections isn't insulated, I'd not go too extravagant on the door. If the wall is insulated, having an uninsulated door isn't going to kill you. My old shop had a finishing room in the middle that was just framed out with drywall for walls and no insulation. It had a hollow core interior door. I had no problem keeping the finishing room at a decent temperature with space heater without heating the rest of the shop. Climate wise, this was living at 7000 ft. in the mountains of NM so it got cold. I'd be more concerned about insulating your roll up door myself.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    If the wall between the two sections isn't insulated, I'd not go too extravagant on the door. If the wall is insulated, having an uninsulated door isn't going to kill you. My old shop had a finishing room in the middle that was just framed out with drywall for walls and no insulation. It had a hollow core interior door. I had no problem keeping the finishing room at a decent temperature with space heater without heating the rest of the shop. Climate wise, this was living at 7000 ft. in the mountains of NM so it got cold. I'd be more concerned about insulating your roll up door myself.
    The wall currently isn't insulated, but it is the first wall that is going to rewired, insulated and drywalled, so I figure I should get the better door right from the start. I'll be at HD tomorrow when I go to St. Louis to assemble some bookcases for my daughter's in-laws, so I can get some ideas. I also have to be near FLW in the next few weeks, so I'll see what the salvage shop has. I just have to remember to measure the opening and determine which side I want hinged. I suspect building codes call for having the door open out to the spare garage, but I don't know if there is room to do that. It would be easier to have it swing in to the two-car garage.
    PP

Share with Facebook  

If you want to follow building codes - the wall in the garage should be 5/8 fire code sheet rock and the door should be a fire code "B" rated steel door.

Do the prehung - don't go with building it yourself it's not worth the trouble.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Prehung, bored & mortised for hardware if it doesn't come with it already installed. Most people can't install a prehung correctly, nevermind a custom fitted door. If insulation is an issue, you'll probably want an exterior door with a threshold & a sweep already installed.
    Share with Facebook  

PP
    I have to suggest the pre-hung route.

Just measure the distance between the existing studs. Truncate the measurement to the full inch. (e.g. If you measure 34 and some fraction, just use 34)
    Now for the math. Subtract 2 inches from the measurement. That is the size of the door that you need.

Here is the logic.
    32" door
    door jamb 3/4 twice or 1-1/2
    The extra 1/2" leaves space for shims so that you can get the door level and perpendicular.

The trick when installing is to put a 1x3 across the top and bottom of the door. Attach with screws onto the edge of the door jamb. Make the 1x3 about 12" longer than the width of the door jamb. (Overlap 6" on each side.) This does two things for you. First it prevents the per-hung door from racking. Second, with shims you can keep the door jamb cantered and perpendicular in the opening.

As for the type of door. Fire rated would be better insulated than an interior door but probably cost twice as much. As for code, because there is no living space or exterior on either side of the door, an interior door should suffice. Ask your local building inspector to be sure. I would avoid steel and/or commercial (Typically 1/4" Masonite laminated to particle board.) doors just based upon weight alone.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

I just re-read the OP.

No living space does not need a fire door.

Any old PREHUNG door - (Borg is around $80 to $150) - will do.

If there is a remodelers outlet of used building stuff place around - you might be able to find a good used solid wood door for $50 or so. It's worth a look around.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    If you want to follow building codes - the wall in the garage should be 5/8 fire code sheet rock and the door should be a fire code "B" rated steel door.

Do the prehung - don't go with building it yourself it's not worth the trouble.
    According to local contractors, and one of the building trades instructors at our technical college, the code only calls for 5/8 sheet rock on a wall adjoining a living area. Since the house is separated from the garage by a closed in porch (formerly the deck), 5/8 may not be required, but I'd rather go the extra and use it anyway. It's cheaper than having to pull out 1/2 and then have to put up 5/8 anyway.
    PP

Share with Facebook