+ Reply to Thread

Spoke shave angle and blade

What kind of blade do we need for a spoke shave? and what's the angle of the blade to the wood?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Spoke shave angle and blade

I have only used the ones here:

http://www.hocktools.com/SP.htm

the ones on the right with the posts and thumb knobs.

They took are of all that angle stuff for me. Here are some pics of the one i built most recently:

http://gallery.beamerweb.com/index.p...pokeshave-2013
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

The reason why I asked is because I have some used shear blades made for plastic extruders. These blade are very hard and durable. I'm contemplating making some sort of spoke shave with these blades.

Yo Tim! This question is directing toward you too. You know the blades I'm talking about.
    Share with Facebook  

For a spokeshave... depending upon how you plan to use it - for roughing, for fine touchup shaving, for light chamfering, for scraping - you'll want an iron angle of anywhere from about 25 degrees all the way up to 95 degrees (past vertical). For most general-purpose use the iron will want to be run between about 40 & 45 degrees, with a lower angle for really fine touchup shaving (especially uphill into the grain).

The iron can be made of nearly any sort of high-carbon steel at least 1/8" thick, including any of the tool steels or high-speed steel. It needs decent rigidity in the 'shave, but that's actually pretty easy to come by in a spokeshave because a spokeshave's iron isn't very large.
    -- Tim --

What???
    Share with Facebook