+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water distillation

My folks got me a whole house humidifier for Christmas, it helps a lot. Though it's not required to use distilled water I thought it would make the filters last longer, this is just temporary. I will build a distiller out of a stainless steel pot with sealed connections, but I just wanted to try this with what I had on hand.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	000Water01.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	21494 Click image for larger version

Name:	000Water02.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	21495 Click image for larger version

Name:	000Water03.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	21496
    That container holds about a pint, with my non sealed tea kettle lid and my rag stopper, it took about 1 and a half hours to distill that container full.

I figured as long as I am burning the wood stove in the shop for heat might as well multitask it to distill water too.

I'll probably use a stainless steel stock pot, drill the lid to attach the pipe to and some metal clamps to lock the lid down, maybe longer copper pipe or a radiator or A/C condenser (automotive) in front of the fans.

Thanks ~Mike
    Last edited by autobodyman; 12-31-2014 at 3:41 am.
    If at first you succeed, try to hide your astonishment.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Water distillation

That's pretty cool Mike.

I would have thought you would need something more than the ambient air for cooling.

Someday I want to build a solar hot water collector.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Looks like a 'still'....just a little corn mash and you're in business!

I seriously don't know what I'm looking at. We have Central Air and Heat system, and I'm guessing as long as that drip pipe outside is dripping, we have the right amount of 'humidity'? Don't get me wrong. wish we had a 'smoke dragon' in the house, I have plenty of firewood from milling and could get plenty more for free.

Scott (kind a cool idea) B
    These products offered are just cheaply priced, not cheap quality!
    PR / Wood blanks bargain pricing
    Weekend Specials now being offered!

Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by autobodyman View Post
    My folks got me a whole house humidifier for Christmas, it helps a lot. Though it's not required to use distilled water I thought it would make the filters last longer, this is just temporary. I will build a distiller out of a stainless steel pot with sealed connections, but I just wanted to try this with what I had on hand.
    Attachment 21494 Attachment 21495 Attachment 21496
    That container holds about a pint, with my non sealed tea kettle lid and my rag stopper, it took about 1 and a half hours to distill that container full.

I figured as long as I am burning the wood stove in the shop for heat might as well multitask it to distill water too.

I'll probably use a stainless steel stock pot, drill the lid to attach the pipe to and some metal clamps to lock the lid down, maybe longer copper pipe or a radiator or A/C condenser (automotive) in front of the fans.

Thanks ~Mike
    I like it. An AC radiator in front of a fan will work well. You'll get your distilled water and lose no heating energy.
    Share with Facebook  

I can get distilled water from the machine at the grocery store for some ridiculous price. (Less than a couple of dollars for 5 gallons)

To me it seems like a lot of effort and cost for meager savings.

Having had a humidifier in the house in the Pittsburgh area, I wish that I had thought about distilled water back then. The filters were a mess.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    That's pretty cool Mike.

I would have thought you would need something more than the ambient air for cooling.
    I think it would work faster with a radiator or a wort setup (pipe coil in a bucket of cold water) or just running the pipe outside (winter temps are rarely warmer than 40° here ). I only need the distilled water for the humidifier in the winter so I may just run a line outside for the cooling when I get a stainless steel pot built.

Someday I want to build a solar hot water collector.
    I could see that in places wear it doesn't freeze in the Winter not sure how that would work in my climate. I once thought about putting my hot water heater in the attic and running some pipe against the roof on the inside, should work great as the roof get pretty hot with the sun hitting, then I thought, but in the winter at night my attic would get cold enough to freeze so I dumped that idea.

Thanks ~Mike

Quote Originally Posted by SDB777 View Post
    Looks like a 'still'....just a little corn mash and you're in business!
    I really don't "drink" much so not terribly interested but I think it's a bit more complicated than my single water distillation process and I think you have to be fairly conscientious about controlling the temperatures.

I seriously don't know what I'm looking at. We have Central Air and Heat system, and I'm guessing as long as that drip pipe outside is dripping, we have the right amount of 'humidity'?
    I'm not sure what you mean by drip pipe, my central furnace, A/C unit has a mini sump pump to collect water when the A/C is running (my sewer line in the basement is higher than the furnace, need to pump the water up to the sewer line). In the winter that doesn't get any water, the furnace draws outside air to burn and so there is a lot of steam coming out of the exhaust and it does drip but that air never enters the house only the burn chamber so it neither adds or removes moisture from the house air.

Anyway our house has always been kind of dry in the winter, son even used to get nose bleeds. With this new whole house humidifier I set it at 40% and figured I was good. A few days later our night time lows were around -10°F and I had water freezing on several of my windows so I looked online and found a chart that gave a basic guideline of what it could be inside the house based on the outside temp and found when I'm below zero outside that I shouldn't have it much higher than 20%, if you leave it to high it can cause condensation in your walls and make your insulation settle and even grow mold.

Name:	Humidity.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	21520
    http://www.cottagestocastles.biz/pdf/misc/Humidity.pdf

Don't get me wrong. wish we had a 'smoke dragon' in the house, I have plenty of firewood from milling and could get plenty more for free.
    I only burn wood in my woodshop, both the wife and I found that burning wood in the house bothered our sinuses, (stuffed up, particularly at night) now I'm thinking it may have been just because the air was to dry.

Scott (kind a cool idea) B
    Thanks ~Mike

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRider View Post
    I like it. An AC radiator in front of a fan will work well. You'll get your distilled water and lose no heating energy.

Yea, kind of like the old steam heaters in my grandmothers house when I was a kid. Wow, does that make me old or what?
    Thanks ~Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rrich View Post
    I can get distilled water from the machine at the grocery store for some ridiculous price. (Less than a couple of dollars for 5 gallons)
    Here it's only available in 1 gallon plastic jugs, about $1.25 a gallon. This new humidifier holds 10 gallons of water and can go threw that much in a 24 hour period. I'm mostly just playing with this idea of distilling my own water because it seems like kind of a fun thing to do. My folks have had this same humidifier since last Winter and my dad tells me he just uses city water and has to replace the $21.00 filter once a season.

To me it seems like a lot of effort and cost for meager savings. Yea, like I said I'm really just playin.

Having had a humidifier in the house in the Pittsburgh area, I wish that I had thought about distilled water back then. The filters were a mess.
    Until now I only had a 1˝ gallon single room humidifier. The filters are about $12, using city water I would get about 2 weeks before it wouldn't perform well (less water being used as the filter limed up, when I removed the filter it was hard as a rock). And in the end it couldn't raise the humidity in the house more than a couple percent. Winter can last up to 7 months here and the distilled water cost added up but so did replacing the filter every 2 weeks.

The filter in this whole house humidifier is much larger but I assume that it too will become less efficient as it picks up minerals, difference being it can put out more than I need so I shouldn't exceed my need as fast as the smaller unit, though I assume the fan will run longer as it gets limed up. I guess time will tell. As of yet I haven't gotten anything set up but this tea pot thing and I can't get more than about half a gallon a day from it and I'm not in the woodshop everyday to burn wood and add water to the pot. So at the moment I would have anywhere from a 3 to 9˝ gallon a day deficit ( as far as I know that only works for the government )

Thanks ~Mike
    Share with Facebook  

Mike,
    Only two comments, "$1.25 a gallon? Holy bat poop."

Your city water must be hard enough to bounce off the floor.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by rrich View Post
    Mike,
    Only two comments, "$1.25 a gallon? Holy bat poop."
    Yea, I remember when gasoline was less than that.

Your city water must be hard enough to bounce off the floor.
    Our town has two wells one into the Madison that we are usually on it's around 10 to 11 grains of hardness, the other well when they have problems with the primary one is about 22 to 23 grains of hardness.

Years ago when I bought my whirlpool bath tub I had the water tested threw Sears and they said that the 11 grains probably wouldn't require a water softener for the tub, but it wouldn't hurt. I installed one that lasted for about 7 years, when it quit I went to replace it and it was double the cost I paid originally so I decided not to put one in.

The humidifier sheet said if you use softened water the filters would need to be replaced more often, the salt in the water?

Thanks ~Mike
    Last edited by autobodyman; 01-02-2015 at 11:21 pm.
    Share with Facebook  

That's a great disguise for the moonshine still!!!!!!!!

I use very little alcohol and actually I gave the still away a couple of years ago......... That is how you recognize a teetotaller up here. Someone who gave away his moonshine still.....

Though others may profit from this idea.
    I have hardly ever seen a humidifyer in my life but I suppose someone could make a good bit of money by selling them as camouflaga units for moonshiners.
    Share with Facebook  

This is the humidifier I have and the filter for it.

Name:	Humidifier.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	21539 Click image for larger version

Name:	HumidifierFilter.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	21540
    Thanks ~Mike
    Share with Facebook