+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Planter Interior Square Feet?

How do I calculate how much finish I'll need for the interior of a planter? Mine is roughly 2' wide x 4' long x 15" deep.

I'll be using a different finish from that of the exterior and only want to buy what I need.

Thanks
    "Governments don't live together, people live together..."
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Planter Interior Square Feet?

that is ~ABOUT~ 18 sq-ft.

About the smallest container you can buy is 1 quart.

It depends on the coverage of the product in the can - but a quart will be enough.

The difference in price between a quart and a pint is going to be negligible - not worth it.

A gallon covers ~ABOUT~ 250 sq ft ---- so a quart will be 1/4 of that of ~ABOUT~ 60-80 sq-ft.

Please consider this to be totally totally an estimate --- it all depends on how many coats - how porous the surface - how rough the surface is - the coverage of the material in the can - how thick the product is - the quality of the product.

Pretty safe bet - a quart is going to be plenty.

What is the "finish" you are referring to?
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks Leo. Tung oil for the interior.

Was in my shop a few minutes ago and noticed that I have a quart of 100% Tung oil. Oh love that smell. I had planned on two coats and just as an added layer, for condensation build up and what-not, I was also considering 6mil plastic sheeting. Would one coat do or is that too minimal?
    Last edited by Tony; 11-16-2014 at 1:27 am.
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    Share with Facebook  

?? TUNG OIL ??

For the inside of a planter?

Now you are totally outside of the box I am in.

I don't know why any oil finish would be a good protection for inside of a planter box.

No - I would not do one coat - I would do maybe more like 5-6 coats

Years ago - in my teens, late 1960's, my Dad talked about how to soak Linseed oil into a wood ladder that we stored outside. SOAK it in was the key.

If your tung oil is a drying oil it may sorta block other coats from soaking into the wood. When I use a Danish oil, or Watco, or Bushes oil - is is always on something that does not need much protection and is for interior use - like a jewelery box. I have never thought of it as a wet condition protectant - like what I envision the inside of a planter box to be.
    Share with Facebook  

I line my planters with plastic sheeting. It's cheaper and faster plus there are no worries about the finish migrating into the soil and being absorbed by the plants. If you are planning to grow veggies in those boxes be aware that some finishes are toxic to plants . . . . and humans.
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook  

Leo, I've read numerous posts online of people using it for planters as well, not just one source. Doesn't seem so bizarre. By the looks of it Tung would be an excellent choice as far as repelling water and being food safe. As far as drying time I have several months until I even consider putting it to use. In between each coat it can sit outside for a week or so to dry. I'm in no hurry and would rather it be done food safe. Can you suggest a better finish treatment for the interior? if so I'll consider it.

Art, I had planned on plastic sheeting either way, 6 mil. Do you ever have any condensation build up between the box and plastic sheeting?

When I planned this planter it was simply going to house 6 - 5gal. buckets with the plants in them and underneath either storage or a worm farm; it's two level btw. The plants were never going to be in contact with anything else. Then after I finished I thought why not just plant a few inside the planter instead or at-least keep that option open. As far as the worm farm, it would be nice for the extra water to drip down into the farm and keep it moist and save water at the same time.

Normally I'd use redwood or cedar, but short on cash this time of year. especially for a project this large, so I used wood from recycled from pallets that are safe to use (Google IPPC Logo or see this article). Not the greatest quality wood, but in need of some sort of additional protection and why I thought a finish would be needed and of course food safe unlike the exterior that will be finished with Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. I don't expect this planter to last forever, but can't hurt to push it a few extra years with a good finish.
    Last edited by Tony; 11-16-2014 at 4:02 pm.
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    Share with Facebook  

Tony - like I said - it's outside of my box, meaning I really don't know about that stuff. I have made planters in the past and they didn't last more than a couple of years. I have made raised bed planters in the garden with PT and they didn't really last either.

I didn't put anything on the wood to protect - but maybe a few coats of oil would have helped. In the future I will certainly be thinking about it.
    Share with Facebook  

Rubberizeit!Universal. Wish this stuff was affordable, but with 1 gallon being around $75 I don't see it happening any time soon.

Leo, if I could have afforded it, I would at-least used cedar fencing material. And I too have had planters fall apart even with the right stock. When they have failed It's usually the bottoms have fallen out and what I'm trying to avoid here.

I'm really happy how this planter has been coming together and it's built like a brick $shit house, lots of lap joints, bolts and screws. I'm short on material for the outside, so I'm going to have to either break down and spend some cash or hit CL for fencing that people are throwing out.

"5-6 coats" could really cost me, so I still may have to consider another finish.
    Last edited by Tony; 11-16-2014 at 5:37 pm.
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    Share with Facebook  

Tony, I know money is an issue. It is for me too - my income level is just reaching where I was 10-12 years ago, and I now have higher expenses.

Have you thought about fiberglass on the inside maybe with molded in copper drains. The cost of not needing to build a second one may outweigh the cost of a little prevention this time around.

You said you already had a quart of Tung oil - that should do the 5-6 coats without ay more purchasing - if you choose to go in that direction.
    Share with Facebook  

I used reclaimed cedar fencing and lined my boxes with the bags the planting soil I bought came in. I never had a problem with rot. Have you tried local fence companies to see if they have "tear down" available? Around here they give it away just to avoid having to haul it to the dump and pay outrageous dump fees.
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook