+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Building my 2nd Guitar

Finally!

I've got the shop in decent enough shape. I've got permission from the wife. I'm getting very excited!

Some of you may remember my first guitar - a Martin Dreadnought acoustic completely from scratch. Well not to be outdone ... I have decided to try the next hardest thing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cream-clapton-es335-213x300.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	21219

That's a 19640 Gibson ES-335 and I'm aiming to get as close to that as I can. Here is another shot:

Name:	bg-Clapton-ES335-1.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	21220

Lots of new stuff in here ... never bound a neck, never did rectangular inlays, never done this kind of bending, etc, etc. There's a LOT i'm uncertain about - but I went to a couple guitar stores today and twiddled around with a real one. I'm hooked. I want one.

I found some open source plans here - http://notrightinthehead.net/2012/03...df-blueprints/

The one I'm gonna tackle is the one at the end of that page above. I went out and had 'em printed up full size - on a sheet that's 34" by 44" -- it was neat to see the full size plans on paper.

The construction of this model is very interesting - it has a solid maple block down the center and the outside faces are all maple. The weird part is the top and back are a lamination of all maple.

I plan to resaw some of my pretty quilted maple blanks i got from Gecko. Tomorrow i'm hoping to get started on the bending form for the body sides.

Here's hoping I can pull this off!!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Building my 2nd Guitar

Just one think to note - don't pay too much for those plans printed that big - I can do that for you.

The Les Paul style seems pretty popular to be building - I see a lot of those out there.

The Gibson Ess-3055 if I remember correctly looks awesome. That an acoustical?
    It almost looks like a Martin.

The forming is going to be very cool indeed.

Finishing - that will be way cool. Are you going to go into some Transtint coloring? Fading the colors into the center from a darker edge?

Ricks quilted maple is awesome - BUT - it's NOT really a good acoustical choice is it?

Gonna be a cool build.
    Last edited by Leo Voisine; 11-02-2014 at 10:48 am.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    Just one think to note - don't pay too much for those plans printed that big - I can do that for you.
    $7 something a sheet - not too bad. Kinkos wanted $70 because the only printer big enough they had was the big color one. Staples was much more reasonable

The Les Paul style seems pretty popular to be building - I see a lot of those out there.
    Yeah - they're popular. I have no interest in building one for myself. Maybe if i really turn this into a paying gig, I'd build them. I just ain't into their sound.

The Gibson Ess-3055 if I remember correctly looks awesome. That an acoustical?
    It almost looks like a Martin.
    the one i'm doing is "semi-hollowbody" - it's got a maple block down the center but it's otherwise built very similar to an acoustic - with some changes like laminations instead of single skins. The sound is unique -- 335, 336, 345 and 355 (BB King's Lucille)

The forming is going to be very cool indeed.
    That's the part i'm most nervous about - getting that right. I will probably do one up in plain maple first to make sure i can get the contours the way i want.

Finishing - that will be way cool. Are you going to go into some Transtint coloring? Fading the colors into the center from a darker edge?
    I'm after that red cherry look - hoping to get as close to the Freddie King or Eric Clapton models. Chuck Berry had one, too. I'll probably do a sunburst eventually, that's the light in the middle fading to dark at the edges. But this one needs to be as close to that '64 spec as I can get it.

Ricks quilted maple is awesome - BUT - it's NOT really a good acoustical choice is it?
    Actually it's perfect. Those billets came from a guitar builder, in fact. The originals from gibson were almost entirely maple (short of a mahogany neck and a few spruce bits).

That's the biggest reason i'm trying to get as close as accurate to the original as possible. I believe that the construction and materials are vital to the kind of tone (or the voice) of the guitar. The pickups are definitely a factor, too, but a lot of the "behavior" of the guitar is the stuff that supports the strings and any damping/overtones that are added by it.

Yep ... gonna be a heck of a build, for sure! I'm daunted AND excited - that's what stretching your skillset should feel like
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    Yep ... gonna be a heck of a build, for sure! I'm daunted AND excited - that's what stretching your skillset should feel like
    I have access to an "E" size color plotter (printer). The "E" size is 44 inches wide - and holds roll paper. I can use it - discretely. So - if you need - let me know first - then, it's just postage.

Ohh yes - stretching the skillset - is definitely moving into things we have never done before. That's all me. I would rather stretch that to continue doing something I have already done a number of times.

Either way - there is also nothing wrong with honing what we already know.

I will enjoy watching you build this guitar.

You're gonna hafta play it in a video of course.

Does anyone use catgut strings any more or are they all synthetic now?
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Does anyone use catgut strings any more or are they all synthetic now?
    I'm not sure - i tend to stay in the steel string side of things. Acoustics are often nylon these days, I believe.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Awesome
    Charter Member of The Cody Colston WoodWorkers Benevolence Society
    Share with Facebook  

Sweet. Looking forward to following the build too.

Dan
    Share with Facebook  

I'm really looking foward to this build. Be sure and take lots of pics and give us lots of detail.

BTW, Chuck Berry played the ES 335, too.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Very true, cody!

Even Marty McFly!

Name:	article-2060918-0EC77E3200000578-898_634x526.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	21231

Mine will be without the Bigsby trem (the metal stuff to the left of his right hand) - Some guys also do a trapese there, which is just a little less metal. Mine will have none of that - just a haird tail.

Right now, my current challenge is working out how i'm going to do the front and back panels -- they're a 4-layer lamination of about 1/16" maple - basically shop-made plywood. The trick is that there's no carving ... it's all bent. In three dimensions...

So i have a topographical map of sorts ... check this out:

Name:	topo1.png
Views:	166
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	21232

Those are .050" steps - a total of about .450 difference. What i'm thinking about doing is using my CNC to cut a mold and then bend my sheets of maple in my vacuum press/bag. The struggle i have now is getting those steps into a smoother contour type thing.

At the moment, i'm thinking i might just cut it out like shown above - with the steps - then fill in the contours with bondo or something to make it smooth ... that might be the easiest method...
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post

At the moment, i'm thinking i might just cut it out like shown above - with the steps - then fill in the contours with bondo or something to make it smooth ... that might be the easiest method...
    Yup. That's how I'd do it.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook