+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Garage Door Spring

Yesterday, I had just closed the garage door when I heard a loud bang. It had been about 20 years and I knew that replacement would be needed soon. I went into the garage from another door and sure enough, there was the spring in about 3 pieces.

First I called the people that originally installed the garage door. Put on hold three times and finally a semi civil person answered. Single spring on a roll up $190.

I called HD and they said that someone would call. They called today, $70 just to come out and give me an estimate. "Will it cost more or less than $190?" "When we give you the estimate we can tell you."

9:15 AM today
    I went to a web site HomeAdvisor.com. They're going to set me up with 3 contractors and they display their business names, phone numbers and yelp ratings. (All over 4.5 BTW) I'm looking at one that is near by. (Phone exchange number) The phone rings and it is the guy that that I'm looking at. It's one of these WTF moments. The guy explains that as soon as HomeAdvisor gives me the contractor names it also sends my info to the contractors. The guy also says that to be a successful user of the HomeAdvisor site you have to be quick and responsive.

11:15 AM today
    Two guys from the contractor arrive in a truck with tools and parts.

12:15 PM Today
    The job is done and only $175.
    They installed a second spring at no charge, lubed and aligned the door. I am impressed at how well the door works.

The web site says that they check all of their contractors for not bankrupt and not felons. I was taken back a bit but if you've ever watched Mike Holmes, you understand the statement.

Around 1:00 PM today, I got calls from the other contractors. They grumbled a bit when I said that the job was done. Also I was educated. I will not call the BORG again. I mean $70 just to tell me how much? That literally locks the customer into the HD contractor. They can kiss my patutie.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Garage Door Spring

At least you got someone to come out and got it fixed. A few years back I called several garage door places to see if they would stop by and look at my shop (I built it in 1987 with a slide by door, opening 9'7" tall by 15'9"wide) to see if they could give me an estimate on installing an overhead door, what size I would need to re-frame the opening to ect... none of them ever returned my calls, finally after waiting a couple weeks I went ahead and redid the walls, siding and shingles and just rehung my slid by door.

Thanks ~Mike
    If at first you succeed, try to hide your astonishment.
    Share with Facebook  

Since you didn't stipulate, I'm assuming your springs are parallel to the door track. In years past when a spring like that broke I went to the Borg and bought one for under 20 bucks. I then spent an hour or so installing said spring and normal maintenance. Since we use the garage as our main entrance to the house the door gets used frequently and thus became proficient at the process. The only key was to install the correct spring signified by the color stripe painted on one end.

Then a couple years ago we had new doors installed with the spring wrapped around the pipe -- . Don't think I'll mess with that spring when it breaks.

BTW, unless you have a safety wire thru the spring I'd be running to the Borg to get one. What might have been the consequences if someone had been in the garage and in the line of fire?
    Share with Facebook  

I just called the original installer. When he was at the house I said, I want all 4 replaced - not just the broken one. I don't remember what it cost.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

John,
    It's a roll up door. There is a rod that is on the wall over the top of the door opening. The springs are on that rod. There are drums on the ends of the rod that hold the cable that attaches to the bottom of the door.

With the springs around the rod, there is no need for the cables or chains through the springs.

On the old slab door (Installed ca. 1962) when the spring broke it bounced around the garage. We didn't have a car parked in the garage at the time so the damage was minimal. I replaced those springs once and all it really required was a pipe as a lever.

On the roll up door, no way in H*** would I attempt it. After watching the guys do it, there is still no way in H*** that I would attempt replacing the spring. $175 and worth every nickel.
    Last edited by rrich; 10-16-2014 at 6:50 pm.
    Rich

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

I know two people seriously injured while trying to mess with that style spring...not worth messing with.
    Share with Facebook  

Talk about irony! Thursday night, as my garage door was closing, I heard what sounded like a small explosion. It was nearly a #1 and #2 on the sphincter scale!!

I searched the garage and found only a large flat washer laying near the back of the van. Continuing the search, I noticed the same size washer, with a lag screw in it, sitting on the corner of my workbench. It hadn't been there earlier in the day. Upon looking around some more, I noticed the garage door spring sagging and the mounting bracket hanging from the spring rod. The door was locked down tight and there was no way my van was going anywhere.

When the garage door company I use got back to me Friday night, based on my description, the repairman thought we were looking at spring replacement at a cost of roughly $250. When he arrived this morning and saw the problem things immediately got better. The only problem was that the mounting bracket had been attached with the wrong hardware and had come loose. He re-attached things with longer and better lag screws, re-tensioned the spring, straightened the upper panel of the door, adjusted the garage door opener, and did a few other small adjustments and fine tuning. My total bill... $52.

The first time I used this company convinced me to stick with them. This second time confirmed that. The total bill was just over half of what their competitor would charge just to come out. The competitor was teh one who installed the door for the previous owner, they tried to charge me more for a gear replacement kit than I paid the manufacturer with shipping included, and they insisted I needed to buy additional parts that are actually part of the kit.

Facing a possible $250 bill, another $200 to have my walnut tree trimmed later this week, roughly $350 for a pastors' conference in a couple of weeks (attendance required and retired pastors don't get their expenses paid by the congregation), needing to replace the flooring in much of the house, and upcoming wedding related expenses, I was never so happy to pay a bill in all my life!!
    Last edited by PastorPaul; 10-27-2014 at 9:50 pm.
    PP

"If they don't have woodworking in heaven, I ain't goin'."
    Share with Facebook  

With the roll up doors, it is important to get someone that knows what they are doing. There are a certain number of turns that the springs have to be tightened to in order for the door to open properly and not be dangerous. 175 is not a bad price when you don't know the person and it includes the springs.
    Share with Facebook  

The same thing happen to the double garage door at my old house. I bought the replacement spring and put it in myself. The bill was $32.00.

Adjusting the spring around the rod took a while because I didn't know how much was needed.
    Last edited by CajunRider; 01-21-2015 at 5:59 pm.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRider View Post
    The same thing happen to the double garage door at my old house. I bought the replacement spring and put it in myself. The bill was $32.00.

Adjusting the spring around the rod took a while because I didn't know how much was needed.
    I was told 1/4 turn per foot of door travel. Yeah then add another 1/2 turn or so.
    Rich

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook