+ Reply to Thread

Scrap Pallets Turned Into A Mini Vase

Hi guys. I am totally new to wood turning. I've wanted to try it for a while and finally got around to it. I picked up an inexpensive lathe from Harbor Freight to get my feet wet. And I'm loving it.

I saw some pallets next to a dumpster at the local hardware store and asked if I could have them. They said absolutely. I cut out the pieces, ran them through an old jointer, and then a small electric hand planer.

After that I glued them up and cut them into 6.5" blanks. Then onto the lathe and a little vase was formed.

I have a ton to learn, I think I got lucky on this first thing I have ever really turned. Looking forward to more practice. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks,
    Dan

And the YouTube Video:
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Scrap Pallets Turned Into A Mini Vase

great job!
    Share with Facebook  

Dan - that was great - and you even did the background music - impressive
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks guys. Really fun to play with.

I don't know if it's the smoothness of the vase or the curves or what but it is just so nice to keep holding. So pleasing. Looking forward to making more of these kinds of things. I also have some thoughts on incorporating the CNC into vases or bowls. Maybe making some circular rings with CNC carved designs or words and then include those into a glue up before running on the lathe. We'll see.

It's so cool to just get lost in the curves and the way the wood swoops into different angles. On the outer edges the glued on pallet wood gets razor thin but blends in almost like it was drawn on. Anyhow, this lathe is a blast to play with. Better dust collection would be nice though. I wore a 3M mask with the circular side filters and had the box filter running too. I think I need a better shop vac as well. The little 2.5hp one I have is pretty tiny.

Dan
    Share with Facebook  

It's just something about wood - it feels so good.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook