+ Reply to Thread

Piano Finish on a Piano...

I acquired - for free- a hundred-year old player piano that was destined for the junkyard from my neighbor. I mentioned that I was looking for a long-term woodworking project so he gave it to me. Doing a google search, I figured out how to disassemble it (I also found out that there were no plans available for it). The player part was basically shot and literally falling apart in my hands so I scrapped it. What was left behind was a working piano - the neighbor still said he didn't want it back.

I have disassembled most of it and have started to re-veneer and stain the pieces. I'm using a cherry veneer and a Sedona Red stain - the few pieces I have finished actually look pretty good. For these few pieces, I'm applying about 6 coats of semi-gloss lacquer. This is probably not the original finish coat and I'm not sure what was used back in the 1920's.

A few of the original parts had a piano-finish - a smooth as glass gloss finish. I'm nearing a point where I want to duplicate this look.

So how do I go about putting a piano-finish on a veneer?

I'm carefully sanding the veneer to 180-grit and applying the stain. Now what? Shellac? Shellac + gloss lacquer? Shellac + Polyurethane? Something else?

Help.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Piano Finish on a Piano...

I did this thread a few years ago. It's pretty straight forward, just leave out the black.

http://www.worldofwoodforum.com/vb/s...k+piano+finish
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Thx, Mark.

Since I don't have any of those products on hand, i'm going to have to interpret with what I have or can get a hold of locally. I'll be practicing with some veneer scraps.

I'm guessing the sealer is the key ingrediant for getting the texture flat before adding a good top coat. I tried 10 coats of spray lacquer directly onto the stain but wasn't successful in getting a piano finish.

--- Rion
    Share with Facebook  

I totally forgot you were in CA. I'm not really sure what you have available there finishing wise, but you're right, you really need to use a sanding sealer to flatten everything out. Since Cherry is closed grained it shouldn't be too hard with a good sealer.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

With what's out here, i'd go with a thin coat or two of shellac ... that's available and pretty good as a sealer, right, Mark?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    With what's out here, i'd go with a thin coat or two of shellac ... that's available and pretty good as a sealer, right, Mark?

Yeah. Should work fine.
    Mark

Share with Facebook  

I have two pieces of scrap for my test (veneer + stain, lightly rubbed with white ScotchBrite to knock off any dust nibs):
    1. Shellac + poly - so far it looks good but I need to put on a couple more coats;
    2. Seal-A-Coat + Arm-R-Seal - there's about 8 hours between applications so its going to be a while.

Once I have something that's flat, I'll work on the buffing.

Thx guys.

--- Rion
    Share with Facebook  

BTW, here's my project:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5823-1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	21074Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5871-2-6.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	21073Click image for larger version

Name:	53-Piano Carcase Front with harps_2-2-49.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	21072

Being such novice at woodworking, I try to incorporate something new into every project in order to shorten the learning curve a bit. In this case, I'll be veneering onto a large project to see what challenges are encountered and to using a stain.

Small projects and dyes are my previous experience, so far.

What am I going to do with it after I'm done, you ask? I haven't gotten that far in the planning process yet - if it looks reasonably good, I'll have it tuned and then take piano class at a local community college. Or sell it hoping to recoup some of my expenses.

I'll post a few pix as I'm going along.

--- Rion
    Share with Facebook