+ Reply to Thread

Finished spalted.... wood bowl

Okee dokee... finished the bowl. It's 10" across, soaked it overnight in oil and Beall buffed it.

Seems that either the sanding or heat or the oil or gremlins.... something made the spalted areas shrink away so I ended up with an uneven surface.

Oh well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Spalted BowlDone.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	20947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spalted BowlDone2.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	20948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spalted BowlDone3.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	20949  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Finished spalted.... wood bowl

I 've been reluctant 2 turn any of my spalted maple fer precisely that reason. I have no idea wut it'll do once turned, but do not wanna "stabilize" the wood.
    Would U advise turning 1/2" oversized, then re-turning after finish soaks in?
    'Tis better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by squidsct53 View Post
    I 've been reluctant 2 turn any of my spalted maple fer precisely that reason. I have no idea wut it'll do once turned, but do not wanna "stabilize" the wood.
    Would U advise turning 1/2" oversized, then re-turning after finish soaks in?
    I'm lost on this situation... this wood has dried for over 3 years... it was REALLY dry, as in "drank up the oil like a sponge" dry...

Then the varying grains expanded at differing rates... and voila - a surface with dips and waves.

It's shiny! - but not smooth.

So... would soaking it in a stabilizer work? I don't have any faith in that stuff... seems like it only soaks in a tiny amount, then once that is turned away, you are right back where you started from.

It might work if you did it in a whole lot of stages, and were very careful about only turning off the "high" spots...

Maybe some of these guys will add their expertise...
    Share with Facebook  

Uneven or not...that is a beautiful bowl!
    Share with Facebook  

Nice looking spalted wood. I don't think I have had any bowls get wavy from the spalting but figured wood with grain running in various directions will get wavy. Chances are the wood wasn't completely dry even after three years. I twice turn most of the bowls I do, leaving them about 10% larger on the first turning so there is wood to get them to round after they dry and warp. If they have knots or burl type grain they sometimes get a little wavy. Most people consider the wavy a good thing. I like spalted wood.
    If the wood had punky or soft spots it will get rough or wavy when drying to. It's a keeper anyway.
    Fred
    http://steercreekwood.com/

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
    Share with Facebook  

Beautiful bowl!

What kind of wood is it?
    Share with Facebook  

Thumbs up Re: Finished spalted.... wood bowl

Very nicely done.

Les

Les in Red Deer

Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Share with Facebook