+ Reply to Thread

Yikes - The results are cool but...

This off center turning looks cool as a finished product but seeing the piece moving around like that scares the crap out of me.

Dan
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Yikes - The results are cool but...

Multi-axis turning is pretty scary first 25 er 35 times. Then you'll get used to that eccentric lobe wingin' out over there. Ye may even, (like me), forget it's there & whack the knuckles a good one. Stings.
    Have fun with it. American Assoc. of Woodturners had a great multi-axis feature in their mgzn couple months back. Good inspiration to ignore the center & go for it.
    'Tis better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.
    Share with Facebook  

If you ever get the chance to catch Barbara Dill's presentation on off center turning, jump on it. She has done a lot of research on the art and has developed methods so you can repeat the same shapes on different objects if you want to. She does most of her turning between centers using different points so both ends are anchored. She has a couple of articles about it. There is a teaching guide available on her website: http://www.barbaradill.com/
    Experience is what teaches us we've made this mistake before ....
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks guys. I've been over on the cnc side of the forum for a couple years and just started to get really interested in turning.

Cool stuff.

Dan
    Share with Facebook