+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Handle

Handle

I need a handle for an ordinary wood splitting maul. I've replaced about 3 wood ones so far. I'm thinking this time I will use an appropriately sized water pipe and just weld it in. What I need to know is how do I treat the pipe handle to eliminate the shock waves that will occur when I strike something with it? Also, would filling the handle with a solid material stiffen it against bending? If yes, what should I use?
    Last edited by art3427; 07-18-2014 at 3:32 pm.
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Handle

Quote Originally Posted by art3427 View Post
    What I need to know is how do I treat the pipe handle to eliminate the shock waves that will occur when I strike something with it? Also, would filling the handle with a solid material stiffen it against bending? If yes, what should I use?
    I don't know that you can eliminate the shock waves. I've used mauls like you're talking about, and I thought I was going to lose the fillings in my teeth from the vibrations. Also, the weight of the handle destroyed the balance of the tool and really took a lot of the speed out of my swing. My maul has a composite handle. I've had it 10 years and haven't managed to break it yet.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

I have once tried to use a sledge hamer with a water pipe for a handle. Not for me...... the vibrations are so tireing that it is impossible to swing the tool any more after a few blows.

There is hickory in your country isn't it? Why not make a buch of hickory handles and store them in a dry place ready for use. A stockpile of consumables ready for quick replacement.
    Share with Facebook  

I have split maybe 10-20 cords with a 6 pound maul and wedge.

I have been using the perfect solution for 15 years - maybe 20.

I used to buy 4' green cordwood - not cut or split.

One year I asked my wood dealer if he could deliver it presplit - sure, he said.
    I asked how much.
    He said $20 per cord.
    I almost ----.... well let's say - it's not a forum worthy word.
    The year was -- errr - 1986/1988?
    From then on I bought split wood 4' length.
    That was the last time I split any volume of wood with a maul.

NOW and since about 2002 or so - I buy my wood already cut to length and split.
    My annual heating bill with purchased wood, cut and split in New England - is $400.
    I am not complaining.
    Could I save $50 by splitting it myself - sure - but why?

Second best solution is a gas powered hydraulic splitter.

Third best is a hand pump powered hydraulic splitter.
    Small volume.
    I would not want to split cords and cords this way.
    I have one from Harbor Freight.

Last - wedge and 6 lb maul - but only as an absolute LAST resort. I mean - when there is a level of desperation where it is life or death.

I cannot think of or recommend any solution other than than.

Steel pipe? - not in this state of mind - no sir - not me.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post

Third best is a hand pump powered hydraulic splitter.
    Small volume.
    I would not want to split cords and cords this way.
    I have one from Harbor Freight.
    You can get an air powered hydraulic bottle jack and replace the one on the splitter and make it much faster.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

I think TW had the best suggestion. Make a bunch of Hickory handles and replace the sledge handle as needed. If you do use steel pipe, maybe filling it with expanding foam would dampen the vibration a bit although it wouldn't lend any strength...none probably needed, either.

I have a pile of Oak/Hickory logs to buck to length and split this fall, along with a stack of slabs from sawing. Some are from trees that died and others from some clearing I had done. I'll likely saw some of the logs into lumber (dread sawing Hickory) but there will still be 2 - 3 cords of firewood. I rent a gas-powered 22 ton hydraulic splitter every year to split my firewood.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks guys. Here's what I've decided. I'm gonna' buy 2 hickory handles from Lowes. One to replace the broken one I removed 2 days ago. The other I will stash in my tool room in case of a future need. Actually, with my heart condition the last thing I need to be doing is splitting cords of wood by hand. Last year a cord of seasoned oak cut to length, split, delivered and stacked was $175 so why take the risk?
    Last edited by art3427; 07-22-2014 at 11:12 pm.
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook