+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Calling all Neandertals

A shoulder plane and a skewed rabbet plane are mighty handy for tuning M&T joinery.
    Good chisels, that are devoid of weld lines up the center of the face make a big difference, older Greenlees can be had for sensible prices.
    The heaviest and stiffest bench that you can manage is essential to enjoying this stuff. A slightly wobbly or lively bench top take all the enjoyment out in a hurry. Vises are a personal thing IMO, but like the bench, stouter is nearly always better.
    Dave

Measure once... cut twice.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by dcarter636 View Post
    A shoulder plane and a skewed rabbet plane are mighty handy for tuning M&T joinery. Good chisels, that are devoid of weld lines up the center of the face make a big difference, older Greenlees can be had for sensible prices. The heaviest and stiffest bench that you can manage is essential to enjoying this stuff. A slightly wobbly or lively bench top take all the enjoyment out in a hurry. Vises are a personal thing IMO, but like the bench, stouter is nearly always better.
    This can't be overstated. The workbench is the most important tool that you can own. I think that the best ones for a glucose powered shop were designed when hand tools were the way things were done. Mine is a copy of One from Chris Swartz's Workbench Book.

I don't own it yet, but I think Chris gives good advise for the tools that you need in The Anarchist's tool chest.

It's easy to go from tool user to tool collector, and fill your space with redundant tools.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
    . . . . . . It's easy to go from tool user to tool collector, and fill your space with redundant tools.

I've been collecting planes and handsaws for several years now. I just figured I should be putting them to use.
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook  

I suppose my list of tools was pretty much unnecsesary for you then.......

In this case I have just one thing to add:
    GO FOR IT
    Share with Facebook