+ Reply to Thread

Minwax Polycrylic

I've brushed this stuff on a couple projects in the past.

It seems hard enough, and after some abuse (by me), it was easy to repair.

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...tective-finish

I'm getting ready to use it again. This time I'd like to spray it, but that means I would have to thin it. The label says not to thin it, but IMO, instructions are just another man's opinion.

I plan to test it on some scrap, but I thought I run it past y'all before I do anything.

Dave, in Indiana
    I'm a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Minwax Polycrylic

I've thinned it to spray before without any trouble. I didn't have to thin it much though, like 25%.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

My theory is that Minwax doesn't want consumers to thin because they sell rattle spray cans of the same product. I once inquired of their customer service about thinning polyethylene and received the same response. I've been thinning/spraying polyurethane for years with no problems.
    Share with Facebook  

Might want to use distilled water for thinning.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks, Gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    I've thinned it to spray before without any trouble. I didn't have to thin it much though, like 25%.
    That's what a want to hear! I like the "I did it, and this is what happened" responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    My theory is that Minwax doesn't want consumers to thin because they sell rattle spray cans of the same product. I once inquired of their customer service about thinning polyethylene and received the same response. I've been thinning/spraying polyurethane for years with no problems.
    I buy into that theory, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    Might want to use distilled water for thinning.
    Good point.

Dave, in Indiana
    Share with Facebook  

Most all the WB polyurethanes I sprayed, I added a minimum of " of tapwater to the bottom of a 1 qt cup, before mixing.

Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
    Most all the WB polyurethanes I sprayed, I added a minimum of " of tapwater to the bottom of a 1 qt cup, before mixing.

Dave, in Indiana
    Share with Facebook  

I don't know if it makes a difference or not. I look at it this way, distilled water at about a buck a gallon vs. material at $35 or so a gallon. Save less than a quarter and ruin $35.

I sprayed Polycrylic and didn't thin at all. The viscosity measured within the limits of the spray gun. (The little cup thing and stop watch.)
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

I mixed it 3 cups poly to 1/2 cup (distilled) water, thinking I would need to add more water.

Nope it worked just fine.

It is a quick and easy finish, but still has the "plasticky" look....just like the regular polyurethane.

Dave, in Indiana
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by deepsplinter View Post
    I mixed it 3 cups poly to 1/2 cup (distilled) water, thinking I would need to add more water.

Nope it worked just fine.

It is a quick and easy finish, but still has the "plasticky" look....just like the regular polyurethane.
    You will still get some sheen from a 'satin' no matter how much water you add. I've never had a problem using tapwater, but for those that worry about anything you could use distilled water. If your only choice for water is 'well' water, or stuff you pump out of the ground, or is flowing freely behind your house and looks like a creek, then I would use some other type. It could be bottled water, AKA 'drinking water'. I wouldn't go as far to say the use of 'distilled water' is recommended by way of being propagated on forums, and is a myth suggesting the use of any water other than 'distilled' will produce bad results. If your water source has a high iron content, then I would use an alternative.

You can cut some of the sheen by adding talc to the mix. You would have to experiment with how much to get the sheen more flat without making it cloudy. You can also add a small ratio of lacquer thinner to the mix and that will give the media some 'burn in'. Depending on what I'm finishing not much is needed. I would guess it's not more than 2 coffee scoops in a 1 qt cup. Of course all my ratios are totally dependent on when I'm spraying and when I took my meds.

Share with Facebook