+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OB Shine Juice

Re: OB Shine Juice

Oh, there is one other thing that everyone should know.

There is a painting "tip" that has been floating around since I was in high school. The tip is to punch holes in the trough part of the rim of the can. The theory is that any material wiped off the brush on the rim will drip back into the can. As for the tip:

DON'T DO IT.

If you expect to use the can to store the unused paint, the holes allow air into the can and the paint will skim over. With holes punched in the trough on the rim of the can, the can can't be re-sealed. I have seen the skim on the top of the paint as thick as 1/2 inch.

It took me the longest time to understand why and how paint cans actually create an air tight seal.

Almost all of my paint / stain / finishes are stored in canning jars after the original container is opened.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Source of Bloxygen includes Rockler and Woodcraft. I looked at both Lowes and HD and didn't find it.

I use Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal for my urethane finishes and have used Bloxygen for the 'seal'. On the cans I wrote the date first opened. Since 2011, the Seal-A-Cell was still fresh with absolutely no skin. Sometime since 2011, I forgot to use it in my Arm-R-Seal - a gelatinous blob when I opened the can last week.

I'm sold on Bloxygen's effectiveness.

Rich: Thx for the heads-up on putting holes in the lip (which I have been doing) of the can. I found in all cases that it really doesn't work that well.
    Share with Facebook  

Isn't French Polish a technique not an actual mixture?
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Isn't French Polish a technique not an actual mixture?
    It's both - you can't use a radically different mixture, and you can't use a radically different technique; change either very much, and it's no longer French Polish.
    -- Tim --

What???
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by TDHofstetter View Post
    It's both - you can't use a radically different mixture, and you can't use a radically different technique; change either very much, and it's no longer French Polish.
    So just using shellac isn't really a French polish but the application can be called "a French polish technique"? I am asking because I just use shellac and call it "a French polish technique". I hate to mis-phrasing.
    Share with Facebook  

As I understand it ... French polish is more technique than mixture. Traditional french polish is just shellac applied with a little oil for lube. In the end, it's ultimately just a shellac finish on top. Violins are done this way (and have been for centuries)
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

In the commercial furniture world, French Polish just means a super high sheen no matter the finish type. Take lacquer and buff it to a high sheen and they'll call it a French Polish. What a French polish really is is just a certain method of getting a high sheen with shellac.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Hi,
    I'm new to the world of turning and wood working. I mixed up the shine juice 3 = parts
    BLO/DHA/DE-Waxed shellac but its not getting the shine that i thought it would.

does anyone know why?
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by lockwood View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to the world of turning and wood working. I mixed up the shine juice 3 = parts
    BLO/DHA/DE-Waxed shellac but its not getting the shine that i thought it would.

does anyone know why?
    You're going to have to give us a lot more information. How are you applying it? What are you applying it on? How many coats?
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

edit in,

OOPS - I was responding to the Original Post - not the most recent post.

sorry

I will leave my reply here anyway

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The whole point to the DNA is in fact to vapor off.

To fast for ya?

That is the reason I don't like working with Shellac.

Maybe you could add more BLO, and wait a week for it to dry.

In my opinion, the added BLO does nothing at all. In side by side tests on the same board, BLO on half and the other half - same face, just the finish (poly, shellac), I see NO added feature from the BLO. If fact, if it was not labeled - I would challenge anyone to point out the difference. BLO, has a VERY slow drying time, with no bang for the buck. To me, it's a waste of time and money. I don't like it and I don't use it.

With Lacquer, and Poly and variations thereof, I don't need that secret sauce stuff.

I also like drying oils like Bushes oil, or the danish oils or Minwax Antique oil. They are slow drying, but there IS a bang for the buck there. BLO could fit into this category, but I think the others are better.
    Last edited by Leo Voisine; 12-09-2015 at 3:49 pm.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook