+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OB Shine Juice

Icon5 OB Shine Juice

For those of you that use this. What are you putting it into to keep the DNA from vaporing off?

BTW, for those that have no idea what I'm talking about. It is 1part BLO, 1part DNA, and 1part Shellac(clear). Guess it is also called French Polish?

Scott (puppy farts still smell bad) B
    These products offered are just cheaply priced, not cheap quality!
    PR / Wood blanks bargain pricing
    Weekend Specials now being offered!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: OB Shine Juice

Are DNA and BLO really miscible?

I hadn't really thought about it but when you brought it up the potion I started wondering.

And what proportions?
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by rrich View Post
    They are - they're both hydrocarbons.

EDIT: Correction: they're both hydrocarbon-BASED.

EDITII: ...and the methanol is composed of both polar and nonpolar molecules, while the linseed oil is composed of all nonpolar molecules, including a considerable amount of fatty acid.
    Last edited by TDHofstetter; 05-20-2014 at 3:06 am.
    -- Tim --

What???
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by rrich View Post
    Ethanol has a polar end (the -OH) and a non polar end (CH3Ch2-) so it works as both a polar and non-polar solvent.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Why not just store the mixture in a spray bottle and dispense onto your rag as needed? That will keep it in a closed system until actually applied to the surface where you will want it to gas-off. If pumping the sprayer gets to your hand on a large project, store it in a glue type bottle and apply from it. A piece of tape will keep it closed between applications.
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook  

As I understand it, it will gas-off, even in a sealed Mason. The DNA will gas overnight!

1 part of each of the three Rich.

Scott (I ain't no chemist) B

Share with Facebook  

If practical, use Bloxygen - its Argon gas which is heavier than air so it will form a seal between air and the volatile liquid. In addition, I usually turn the container upside-down when I store it to prevent anything from getting in or out.

--- Rion
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by rionm View Post
    If practical, use Bloxygen - its Argon gas which is heavier than air so it will form a seal between air and the volatile liquid. In addition, I usually turn the container upside-down when I store it to prevent anything from getting in or out.

--- Rion

Cap't Eddie's video on YouTube, shows a 'sealed' Mason jar that has 'gassed-off'. Were talking glass, rubber seal, and tin(screwed on)....I'm not sure, but if it gets out of those jars, I think it can get out of just about anything?

What is Bloxygen? Can I get it in Wal-Mart or Home Depot?

Scott (think I should mix two part and then add the third later) B

Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by SDB777 View Post
    Cap't Eddie's video on YouTube, shows a 'sealed' Mason jar that has 'gassed-off'. Were talking glass, rubber seal, and tin(screwed on)....I'm not sure, but if it gets out of those jars, I think it can get out of just about anything?

What is Bloxygen? Can I get it in Wal-Mart or Home Depot?
    It won't gas off so badly if the jar's upside-down, because the alcohol vapor will rise to the TOP, and it won't pass glass (whup, 'scuse me, but YOU pulled my finger). If the jar's right-side-up, it CAN pass the gasket, though.

Bloxygen's a kinda' cool stuff - it's the same argon you can buy at the welding store in a big (torch-sized) steel bottle, useful for MIG welding. Argon's a noble gas, meaning it won't combine chemically with anything, and it displaces any oxygen-laden air in a paint can (or oil jar, or whatever) so the paint (or varnish, linseed, or whatever) won't "skin over" in the can as it will do if ordinary air's left in the can when it gets sealed.

Can't ordinarily buy it locally - gotta' be ordered online unless you happen to have a specialty store nearby that happens to carry it - not usually the case, if they also sell paint / varnish / linseed, because it hurts their sales. I get mine through Amazon.

The Bloxygen cans, when they arrive, feel like they're empty because all they contain is gaseous; there's no liquid at all in 'em. VERY lightweight.

Hint: If you ever need to mercifully kill an insect, like a butterfly for a collection, put it in a jar & fill the jar with Bloxygen. They never even know that they're running out of air, so they won't beat themselves to death like they sometimes do with ordinary suffocants & inhalants. Nitrous oxide works nicely the same way with insects, but won't stop finishes from skinning over in the container.

Hint II: Bloxygen's ONLY available in those little aerosol-sized cans for good reason. If a can leaks in your basement, it won't fill the house and kill everybody inside (including the investigating police and rescue crew) like a welding-sized argon bottle will if it leaks overnight. Never EVER use a welding-size argon bottle inside the house, or inside any closed unventilated space. It WILL FLAT KILL your azz.
    -- Tim --

What???
    Share with Facebook  

I have some shellac that was cut from the Zinsser standard 3 pound cut. It is about 50/50. I have kept it in a Ball jar. (Mason is a brand name that has become synonymous with canning jars.) I put a piece of plastic, single use grocery bag over the top of the jar to aid in the seal. The shellac has been in there for months. There is no sign of any off gassing. The stuff is just as liquid as the day it was mixed.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook