+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 30 cal pencil

30 cal pencil

I recently made a bunch of pens (took pictures but they still sit on my phone). anyway ---- anyone else have trouble with the 2mm lead? I cannot get the mechanism to advance the lead. It goes into the clutch (for lack of better term) and the clutch will work, but the lead never advances.
    Is it just me?
    It is a typical PSI 30 cal pencil kit. I had high hopes because I hate small pencil leads. this one could be great - if it would advance. worst part is that I made a matched pair - bloodwood pen and pencil set...

weird,
    john
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: 30 cal pencil

I have made several of those over the years and never had a problem. The last one was about a month ago and it operated just fine.

But, I went out and got a new kit to study it and it had the very problem you described. It would not advance the lead. After about 15 minutes of playing around with it I finally got it to start working properly and now it seems to work just fine. I removed the lead from the clip end and then inserted it in through the nib end. I noticed that the collet was very tight at first but got looser after a while - maybe working the lead in and out manually lubricated the collet or maybe it just need to be broken in.

Anyway, try working the lead in and out manually and see if that will get it working. I had to take the nib off and push the lead back up into the mechanism at first in order to remove the lead the first time. Be carefull...I broke one lead twice before I finally got the mechanism to work properly. It is a good thing I had ordered extra leads.

Good luck!
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by DougB View Post
    It is a good thing I had ordered extra leads.

Good luck!

Yeah, thinking ahead. I never do that

Thanks for the info Doug. I will try that. I never thought to try working it through the nib end... every other pencil I have ever tried just falls into place, so this is odd for me...

thanks,
    john
    Share with Facebook  

That's the way that pencil kit usually works too, but they must have gotten a bad batch. Quality control is very lacking these days with the China made kits. The good thing is that they are cheap...the bad thing is that they are cheap

Hopefully you will be able to get your pencil working properly. Worst case, you may have to replace the pencil mechanism. PSI is very good about replacing bad components - you can call them and explain the situation and have them make sure the replacement mechanism is working properly before they send it out to you.
    Share with Facebook  

Doug,
    thanks for the tip --- I used your method and got it to work. it took a little bit. the sleeve that rides over the drum brake there did not want to operate properly. but I ran it back and forth a bit and got it to work... eventually. PITA.
    thanks for the help --- I have had only a few issues with components not working right. I should contact PSI or woodturningz, depending on where I bought them, but I never do. I just have extra pieces for the next kit... 'course, that's okay for a $2 slimline, not for a $9 cartridge or $14 bolt action (so far so good there)...

I should have figured it out anyway b/c I like using graphite spray for lubrication in the shop anyway, I did not put 2 and 2 together until you did it for me

john
    Share with Facebook  

That's great John. Glad to hear you got it working correctly without having to get a replacement part.
    Share with Facebook