+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Runs and drips

Runs and drips

Typically I'll wait a day between coats of finish. I was putting finish on a small out door table and noticed that I had a big run from the day before. I took a razor blade and sliced the run off. It was necessary to clean the razor blade with thinner between slices. After the run was removed I just recoated the area. You can't tell that there was a run after the second coat dried.

BTW - This is a slicing action, not a scrape. The razor blade is cutting parallel to the finished surface. Similar to shaving a bit of the surface off using a chisel.

Serge - This has already been submitted.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Runs and drips

This is a really great technique when you've got a run when spraying a tinted finish.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

A single edge razor blade is a GOTO tool in my shop.

I like using them as a scraper.

Lots of other uses also.

I buy them in the paint store in a box of 100
    I reuse them till they are crap - before I get anew one.

I am on my second box since 2004
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Some manufacturers even make little "razor planes" exactly for this purpose - they're used at automotive paint shops. I believe Eastman's carries them. They orient the blade such that the bevel is level with the painted surface (can't dig in or climb out) and save your fingers.
    -- Tim --

What???
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by TDHofstetter View Post
    Some manufacturers even make little "razor planes" exactly for this purpose . . .
    A similar purposed tool would be the chisel plane. Its intended use is to remove dried glue imbedded in corners; a secondary purpose might be to remove paint drips although I've never tied it. It does real good at removing glue I've smeared when applying edge banding around drawer faces. It takes only minute adjustments to dial it in.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    A similar purposed tool would be the chisel plane. Its intended use is to remove dried glue imbedded in corners; a secondary purpose might be to remove paint drips although I've never tied it. It does real good at removing glue I've smeared when applying edge banding around drawer faces. It takes only minute adjustments to dial it in.
    Today I had the opportunity to see how the chisel plane handles a run -- exceptionally well. The best part is that the blade can be adjusted so that only the peaks are clipped off leaving the intended surface flush. It really did great.
    Share with Facebook  

So my sister in law is wrong. (She always says "You're up in your nightie." )

I'm glad it works for you.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook