+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello!

Hello!

I started woodworking as a serious hobby when our first grandchild was born about 30 years ago. It started as toys, trucks and went to rocking horses. From there it was an easy step to furniture for the home and friends ( and of course more tools and more tools). About ten years ago I bought a mini lathe and started making pens, ornaments and the like. It only took a few years to graduate to spindles, bowls, wall hangings and bigger lathes. I still enjoy flat work and intarsia, but turning is now the main focus of my wood working. With five children, ten grand children and six great grand children a large portion of the year seems to focus on the Christmas season and enjoyably so. I have attended tow turning and one flat work symposiums and find them very inspiring and hope to attend many more. I have found that woodworkers/ turners are the most open, giving and friendliest people that I have ever been associated with and look forward to continuing the experience in this forum.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Hello!

Welcome to the fray, Steve. We have a bunch of knowledgable woodworkers here and a few novices, like me, so jump right in.
    Brian

Chattanooga, TN
    Share with Facebook  

Welcome Steve! We're glad to have you. Sounds like you'll fit right in our turning section and don't be scared to post your flat work as well.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Welcome, Steve, from another granddad. Glad to have you join and I look forward to seeing your work and reading your contributions.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Hi there Steve.

Welcome - I am not a turner but much interested in your flat work experiences.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Hey there Steve. I'm a grandfather and a turner also. Looking forward to seeing you in the turning portion of the forum
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by DougB View Post
    Hey there Steve. I'm a grandfather and a turner also. Looking forward to seeing you in the turning portion of the forum

I will second that. I am a father, not a grandfather, but keep on turning!
    Share with Facebook  

Welcome from another grandpa (3 grandkids). I do a little turning (mostly pens) and a little flat work.
    Mannie
    www.woodenwonderstx.com
    I hate it when people steal my ideas before I think of them.
    Share with Facebook  

Welcome to the forum, Steve.

Grandpa (of 3) here as well. I'm still a turner wannabe. Stuck in the flatwork world for awhile yet.

Looking forward to pics....any and all pics....kids, grandkids, fish, garden, even wood projects.

Dave, in Indiana
    I'm a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.
    Share with Facebook