+ Reply to Thread

Stanley no. 62 blade. I need help.

I bought a Stanley number 62 low angle jack plane last August. I fished it out of a box of assorted junk at a flea market and paid 5 euros for it. After some serious cleaning it turned out to be in very good condition except that it did not come with a blade.
    Right now I am a bit too busy to forge a blade myself and I have some money waiting for me on a friend's pay pal account after he resold a Stanley 444 that I found.

I have searched for a replacement blade of good quality and this is the only one that can be found:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...ock-plane.aspx

I have never done any internet shopping. I do not know if woodcraft is a company that I can trust nor how to go about the whole thing. I do not even have an internet bank account nor a credit card............. I am totally clueless..........

Please tell me what to do!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Stanley 62.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	19028  
    Last edited by TW; 01-12-2014 at 6:47 pm.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Stanley no. 62 blade. I need help.

Woodcraft is a reliable established company with franchised stores all across the USA. They carry a range of goods from mediocre to very good; I can not comment on that blade.

I would try to contact Ron Hock first http://www.hocktools.com/FAQ.htm he may have your blade, even though it is not listed on his web site; his primary business is replacement blades of the very highest quality.
    Last edited by dcarter636; 01-12-2014 at 8:59 pm.
    Dave

Measure once... cut twice.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by TW View Post
    I bought a Stanley number 62 low angle jack plane last August. I fished it out of a box of assorted junk at a flea market and paid 5 euros for it. After some serious cleaning it turned out to be in very good condition except that it did not come with a blade.
    Right now I am a bit too busy to forge a blade myself and I have some money waiting for me on a friend's pay pal account after he resold a Stanley 444 that I found.

I have searched for a replacement blade of good quality and this is the only one that can be found:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...ock-plane.aspx

I have never done any internet shopping. I do not know if woodcraft is a company that I can trust nor how to go about the whole thing. I do not even have an internet bank account nor a credit card............. I am totally clueless..........

Please tell me what to do!
    Back when I used Stanley planes, I had the Pinnacle blade in a vintage 62. It is a nice blade, but I'm just not a fan of A2 steel. The quality of the blade is excellent, though.
    Share with Facebook  

I have been in contact with Ron Hock but a blade for a number 62 would be a special order which I cannot afford.

I will have to get a Pinnacle blade then....... do Woodcraft sell overseas?
    Share with Facebook  

I have no idea. You could email them to find out.
    Share with Facebook  

On their website I found out that one either needs to own an international credit card or an US bank account to be able to buy from them.

If one of you old forumites could buy it and let me reimburse you through pay pal and then mail it to Finland I would be very very thankful................ I feel a bit embarrassed to ask someone to do such a favour to a stranger like me.......
    Last edited by TW; 01-19-2014 at 6:18 pm.
    Share with Facebook  

woodcraft ships overseas and they takes paypal
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by kywilber View Post
    woodcraft ships overseas and they takes paypal
    Yup. The information is all on this link in their FAQ section.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Static/Cust...ernationalship

http://www.woodcraft.com/Static/Cust...px#paywocredit
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks!

That sounds great....... but I have to postpone the purchase a few weeks and hope that they have some blades left then. I have other more urgent things going on and suddenly all the money is needed to mend more urgent holes.

-Today I blew a tyre on the log trailer so it stands by the roadside with a big log load on it. New tyres are very expensive.
    -Yesterday my car did not pass the examination so I must shift two ball joints very soon.
    -On Saturday yet another of my 70 years old mortiser bits came to the point of no return and it has to be replaced before I can finish a bunch of window sashes for a customer.
    -On Saturday evening the heating fan bearings on my car suddenly gave in so I had to drive home without heat in -23 degrees celsius before I could replace the motor with a new one that I fortunately had bought because I suspected that the old one was getting bad. It is fixed already but it took half a day's work and some money.
    -On Thursday I must be in court........... fortunately not prosecuted....... but there is a bit of my money involved in this civil case.
    Share with Facebook  

Today a friend helped me order a Pinnacle blade from Woodcraft.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    Share with Facebook