+ Reply to Thread

band/strap/frame clamp

As i seem to be making more and more boxes I have been thinking about getting some better clamps. Right now i have

3 4ft pipe clamps
    10 14inch bar clamps
    couple c clamps

I am thinking about getting a band clamp one that has the 4 corners on it for boxes.
    What are your thoughts on them and what brand makes a good one. There are a bunch of them out there and all about 25-30 bucks..

thanks,

William
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: band/strap/frame clamp

I'm unlikely to recommend this too loudly, but I believe Harbor Freight has something that will work for you. I know, I know... Horror Freight... but their clamps actually aren't that bad.
    Last edited by zachdillinger; 01-10-2014 at 5:45 pm.
    Share with Facebook  

A suitable length of surgical tubing will also work and is much cheaper. Also, Lowes sells the bungee cord stuff by the foot. If the corners are mitered, I use tape and fold the corners.
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook  

I really seriously doubt that you'll find enough uses for that band clamp to make it worth the purchase. Out in the shop, on one of the walls, hangs a nice name-brand four-corner clamp that came with the place when we bought it. Looks like it's never been used, and I haven't used it in the eight years we've been here.

In all the work I've done... I never once missed having a band clamp. If I got to a spot where I MIGHT be able to use one, I've always been able to make do with a bike inner tube or a rope & tourniquet or a bunch of masking tape or a set of bar/pipe clamps.

BUT... I don't make picture frames. If I did, maybe a band clamp or other type of four-corner clamp would be nice. I dunno.
    -- Tim --

What???
    Share with Facebook