+ Reply to Thread

New member to an old trade / hobby

Just want to say hi to all . Having tons of time on my hands and efforts again to create from wood and metal as an addition . I look forward to being a part of the World of Wood group . A Journeyman Cabinet Maker from Canada now residing in the USA .

The one thing I have to get used to being in Texas , is the humidity and how frustrating it is going to be with the wood projects . Resources in the DFW are certainly hard to find and still have to order from way up north when tools are concerned . So picking your brains for leads I hope won't be to much of a bother .

Best wishes and all from JP
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: New member to an old trade / hobby

Another texan?! SHEESH!

Well at least you're an imported one ... we have a LOT of texans - some in the eastern side near DFW, even.

Welcome aboard, JP! Glad to have you and never ever stop asking questions here - the more we get, the better!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Welcome JP! I'm a fairly short hop away from you down I-20 in Lindale (just north of Tyler). As far as resources go, you can order wood from either Central Hardwoods or Brazos Forest products. Last I ordered from either of them it was free delivery on orders over $300. As for walk in lumber yard where you can pick through the stacks, they are few and far between and IMO grossly over charge for the privilege. It's better in my opinion to order extra from the big suppliers and cull it. There are a number of lumber mills out in my direction and south of DFW where you can get local hardwoods. A number of us have visited M&G sawmill down by Huntsville and have been happy with their products. Here's some links:

http://www.centralhardwoods.com/ (Central piggy backs a fork lift on their truck and will use it to drop the lumber right in front of your shop)

http://www.brazosfp.com/grand-prairi...-products.html (Brazos used to have slightly better customer service than Central, but it's been about two years since I've ordered from either)

http://www.mgsawmill.com/
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Welcome to the forum
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks guys . Would like to pass along my X-mas short list if I may

1. Milling Machine to compliment the Lathe
    2. Rail and Stile bits
    3. More Clamps
    4. Half ton truck full of veneer
    5. Quick way to bypass any mid-life crisis where I go and buy a BMW with a hot blonde that requires botox shots .

In all seriousness , I thank you for the kind welcomes .
    Share with Facebook  

Welcome to the forum JP.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned our fondness of pictures. All/any pictures.....finished products, in progress, grandkids, big fish, your shop, sunsets....etc, etc... We just like pics !

Dave, in Indiana
    I'm a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.
    Share with Facebook  

Hello, JP and welcome to WoW. I'm another Texan (in Tyler) and I agree that finding reasonably priced lumber is an issue. I tend to saw my own but occassionally am forced to buy some that I don't have on hand and it's always a challenge to find it locally.

I can second Stretch's recommendation of M&G Sawmill, too. It's a bit of a trip for you but for native species, they have probably the lowest prices around and the quality is good. Perhaps one day we will arrange another get-together there (not in August) and can meet you in person.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by deepsplinter View Post
    Welcome to the forum JP.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned our fondness of pictures. All/any pictures.....finished products, in progress, grandkids, big fish, your shop, sunsets....etc, etc... We just like pics !
    A few fish stories I do have , pics are far and few between when one is at the business end of the camera . Mostly when I was younger than I am today / tomorrow . Re-tooling the shop / garage currently . Wife figures I'm alot left of center but hey who whats to be in the direct line of any kind of fire .
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    Hello, JP and welcome to WoW. I'm another Texan (in Tyler) and I agree that finding reasonably priced lumber is an issue. I tend to saw my own but occassionally am forced to buy some that I don't have on hand and it's always a challenge to find it locally.

I can second Stretch's recommendation of M&G Sawmill, too. It's a bit of a trip for you but for native species, they have probably the lowest prices around and the quality is good. Perhaps one day we will arrange another get-together there (not in August) and can meet you in person.
    Sounds like a plan in the meet and greet . Got #1 on the wish list , so now making my version of the pantorouter at the moment . The rotary table is to be shipped Monday so that will help with the 3.5 for the router motor opening . Aluminium seemed to be the least expensive route .
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by deepsplinter View Post
    Welcome to the forum JP.

Thanks Deep . This is the only one I like to brag about . A 26 lb lake trout from Lake Minnewanka in Banff National Park . Opening day and of the bank in the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lake_Minnewanka-2.jpg

8lb test line and 3/4 of an hour later , Upon gutting it , there was a 14" smaller laker inside it . LOL It almost ran the spool to the end a few times also . Much older now too .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	26lb Lake Trout.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	18765  
    Last edited by JP; 12-09-2013 at 12:36 am.
    Share with Facebook