+ Reply to Thread

Unemployment sucks, math is awesome, and I'm saying hi

Hi, my name is... *look at username* yeah, that. Not really that much to say about me, but the message suggested I introduce myself here. So... I live in Texas. I don't necessarily consider myself a Texan, but I am granted privilege that I'll enjoy by being a citizen of this State. Going to be 25 next month, so still relatively young. Hobbies would include Chess, Guitar, Sudoku, reading, so on and so on. Wouldn't mind making a chess set one day come to think about it...

But anyway, I moved with my dad on June 23 of 2012 (the day I turned 24) so I could help him and his household out (unemployment sucks). From here he taught me a few things and I fixed a few things myself (recliner, fence, chair (multiple times!)), and I learned that I have a passion for woodworking. I've always enjoyed math and was very good at it, and now to discover I love creating with wood, and realizing you need both for woodworking is... amazing to say the least. It's like I was built for it lol

The only thing I ever really created was a sitting bench (my first project, and though I still posit I would have done better without my father's guidance, it definitely shows itself as my first project), but I loved it. I also found that when I'm working with wood, my mind is completely still and focused on doing top quality work, being precise and detailed, and that never happens when I do anything else. Once my father gets a job and moves to a new location and is settled, I hope to branch out on my own and, with the Lord's will, hope to become a carpenter, do this for a living. I can dig framing, but I really enjoy the smaller stuff.

So I'm hoping that once I get a job, I can get the tools I need and start on my first real project and work from there. At the moment, though, we're in the Poverty range so it's quite unfeasible to do so. So hopefully I can pick up some things from here, I'd like to grow in practical knowledge on this and be prepared when I do start.

So that's it for now I suppose. Hoping to learn from the experienced. God bless
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Unemployment sucks, math is awesome, and I'm saying hi

Hi there Alexander - Welcome.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Hello Alexander,

Welcome to the forum. You can learn alot here and the people here are friendly and always willing to help. I am still a new member here.

There is a couple things you can do that don't cost alot. Look for pallets. Lots of wood in them and free. With the free cost you have to do some work. Lots of stuff you can make from them. All you would need is a hammer, handsaw. You can look online for things to make with pallets. Just an idea for you.

Again welcome to the forum,

William
    Share with Facebook  

Welcome from Pearland (just south of Houston). If you every make it down this way, give me a shout.
    Mannie
    www.woodenwonderstx.com
    I hate it when people steal my ideas before I think of them.
    Share with Facebook  

Welcome from NE Texas. If you're ever up this way my shop is open to you any time. I've even got a mess of nice scraps just waiting for someone to decide what they are.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Welcome to the forum Alexander.

Making a complete chess set is on my bucket list too.
    Share with Facebook  

Hi welcome to the forum.
    ---

Fred "Smooth" Horton
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by kywilber View Post
    Hello Alexander,

Welcome to the forum. You can learn alot here and the people here are friendly and always willing to help. I am still a new member here.

There is a couple things you can do that don't cost alot. Look for pallets. Lots of wood in them and free. With the free cost you have to do some work. Lots of stuff you can make from them. All you would need is a hammer, handsaw. You can look online for things to make with pallets. Just an idea for you.

Again welcome to the forum,

William
    I didn't know there was info online for things to make out of pallets. Will have to do some looking into this. Thanx for the info.
    ---

Fred "Smooth" Horton
    Share with Facebook  

Greetings from west Texas (not to be confused with West, Texas). I'm near Abilene. There are lots of Texans here. Find someone close to you and we'll be glad to help/share. Steve
    Experience is what teaches us we've made this mistake before ....
    Share with Facebook